3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Food Talk And Fabulous Finds (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/food-talk-fabulous-finds-17/)
-   -   Sushi (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/food-talk-fabulous-finds/168774-sushi.html)

Mummy_Tummy 04-08-2009 08:16 AM

Sushi

Yummy!

Just got back from my friend's house for a lesson in making sushi. It was dead easy and the results were deeee-lish! Of course, what we created was more of a very posh Western high tea kind of sushi but still, oh soooo good!:laughing:

You make the sushi rice and then mix in miran and rice wine vinegar. Spread it on the seaweed wrap and add your other bits in neat little rows. We did smoked salmon/cucumber/spring onion and then prawn/avacado/spring onion (my absolute favourite!!). Then you use this bamboo matt to roll it all up and use a very sharp knife to slice it. Dip it in some soy sauce or use a touch of wasabi and there ya go, very pretty, gorgeous low-fat food that was really fun to make. The only fiddly bit is slicing the cucumber, avacado and spring onion into very thin slices. The rest took no time at all.

The only bit I'm slightly worried about is that the sushi rice is white, not brown but other than that, it's guilt-free pleasure!

skinnywish 04-08-2009 11:48 AM

Hey! I LOVE making my own sushi. Over here in Canada, I managed to find brown sushi rice in the grocery store.

I love using smoked salmon, cucumbers, avocados and prawns as well.

For a treat, we mix a little low fat mayo or miracle whip with spicy chili garlic paste, and add a bit of that in for Dynamite Shrimp Rolls or Spicy Salmon Rolls. YUM!

beerab 04-08-2009 12:03 PM

There is brown rice for sushi too! I've seen it and eaten it :)

Sounds like fun- my sister and I made sushi once- it was fun but I'd rather go buy it and leave it to the pros lol.

nelie 04-08-2009 12:43 PM

I like making sushi and it is really cheap to do so but it usually don't look very pretty when I do it :) It is fun though.

choirgirlhotel 04-08-2009 01:12 PM

My boyfriend and I make sushi every Saturday night. We really experiment with our rolls.

So far the rolls we have made:
* Chicken with lemongrass
* Teriyaki chicken
* Black bean garlic prawns
* Spicy coconut prawns
* Butter chicken
* Thai red and yellow and green curry prawn
* Pad thai prawn

We just make the sauce and chicken, or sauce and prawns and make them into a roll!

The list goes on and on.

~Choirgirl~

Mummy_Tummy 04-08-2009 02:32 PM

Thanks for the great ideas and I shall certainly keep a look out for brown sushi rice. I had thought about using chicken, actually. I like the idea of using lemongrass so will def be giving that a go.

Jennifer 3FC 04-10-2009 08:22 PM

Try apple and cream cheese. :yes: