Cabbage what to flavour it with?

• I like steamed cabbage but it's a bit dull. I put smoked paprika on it and that was nice (but maybe I used too much!) any other ideas?
  • A dash of sesame oil (1/2 tsp), garlic, and red pepper flakes.

Yum!

That recipe also works for greens, like kale and swiss chard.
  • I have to go with the red pepper flakes. If that is too spicy, you could try some black pepper and a little garlic. I've also flavored mine with some Montreal Steak seasoning, and it was awesome. Cabbage is one of my favorites.
  • I like salt, pepper and 5 Calorie Smart Squeeze
  • I like cabbage braised in a little water and ham Better Than Bouillon. Sometimes I add a few caraway seeds. Drain and sprinkle with a little white vinegar.

Cabbage is also good braised with canned diced tomatoes.
  • Sauteed with center-cut bacon and an onion.
  • A bit of nonfat chicken broth, just enough to keep it wet; a teaspoon of sugar or Splenda, and a sprinkling of carraway seeds toward the end.
  • Quote: I like cabbage braised in a little water and ham Better Than Bouillon. Sometimes I add a few caraway seeds. Drain and sprinkle with a little white vinegar.

Cabbage is also good braised with canned diced tomatoes.
    where do you find the better than boullion? how many calories and sodium? sounds great.
  • Quote: where do you find the better than boullion? how many calories and sodium? sounds great.
    I can buy most of the flavors in the grocery store in the soup section (near the bouillon cubes). It is a paste that comes in jars. Calories are comparable to bouillon cubes (low) and the sodium is lower. Low sodium versions and vegan versions are available. It does not contain MSG and is gluten free. The biggest advantages are that the taste is true without weird aftertastes and the paste makes it easy to use the amount you need.

Better Than Bouillon is also available online. I have most of the flavors...definitely worth it.
  • I love cabbage simmered in tomato juice or V-8. Or I make "unstuffed" cabbage, by browning a bit of lean ground beef with chopped onion, bell pepper and any seasonings I like , adding shredded, diced, or chunks of cabbage and the V-8 or tomato juice (just to cover the cabbage), and simmer until the cabbage is tender and the juice has become a thin sauce.
  • i make it as a soup with a cube of maggi to it.
  • All sounds good I will have to try.
  • I add carrots and coriander, salt and pepper, and vinegar.. so so tasty.
  • I love it in a stir fry with onion (and other veggies or just the onion and cabbage) with a bit of soy sauce, a pinch of five spice powder).

Or in a german style sauteed with bacon, onion, green pepper vinegar and a bit of splenda. It sounds diet-unfriendly but I only use half a slice of bacon, diced very small (easier with kitchen shears). When I get a taste for german potato salad I make this cabbage salad (or instead of cabbage use green beans in the saute) instead. I brown the diced bacon with chopped onion and bell pepper until the veggies are soft. Then I add the cabbage or green beans and saute until tender and then add the vinegar and splenda (about a tablespoon or two of vinegar and about a tsp or two of the splenda).

I also make an instant borscht that's really good. At it's simplest one can diced beets (juice and all), one can chicken broth, diced cabbage and onion (as much as I want - usually a little onion and a lot of cabbage). To turn it into a veggie soup I add V-8 or tomato juice and more veggies like green beans, broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, turnips, whatever I've got.

Google easy cabbage recipes and you'll find tons. Not all of them are diet friendly, but many are (or are easily adapted to be so).
  • I like it boiled in water with 1/2 a tsp of olive oil, a pinch of salt and pepper. After is tender, I drain it and put white vinegar to it.

Cabbage is yummy I'll try some of the ideas posted here, thanks!