3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Food Talk And Fabulous Finds (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/food-talk-fabulous-finds-17/)
-   -   creative stir-fry? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/food-talk-fabulous-finds/158814-creative-stir-fry.html)

beth4365 12-17-2008 09:05 AM

creative stir-fry?

Hi all,

I love veggie stir-fry and eat it frequently because I get lots of veggies for lower calories. The thing is that I've gotten a little bored with veggies in a little olive oil and spices (fresh ginger is my current fav!).

Anyway, I wanted to ask you all what your favourite stir-fry is? Specifically, so you use any creative or unusual flavors? I'm hoping for a lowfat or lower calorie sauce that will just give me something new to love. I also try to watch sodium so anything that is low sodium will be a plus.

I usually use broccoli, cauliflower, red and yellow peppers, bean sprouts, peas, snow peas, onions, leeks, carrots or any combination of the above. Whatever I have on hand, really.

I'm looking forward to seeing what you creative ladies come up with!

Thighs Be Gone 12-17-2008 09:22 AM

I use the exact same veggies as you. If I have anything that needs to be used quickly, I will throw that in too. I stir fry with the fat-free olive oil spray and then add something I love. I am using a Vegetable & semi-sweet fruit sauce made by a company called Bulldog. It is 25 calories a TBSP. and I would probably add 1-2 TBSP. per serving of stirfry I am cooking. You can add a bit of water if you like it more saucy. Anyway, it's a fantastic find.

ETA: You should be able to find this on the asian aisle of your supermarket or definitely at an Asian grocery.

jillnicole03 12-17-2008 09:32 AM

My favorite Stir Fry:

Broccoli, Snow peas, string carrots, red onion, red & green pepper. I put a little olive oil and look those cook. I add garlic, red peppers & a little teriyaki while they're cooking. When they're almost done I add Hosein Garlic Sauce (sooo good, my favorite chinese sauce). Then you are ready to eat.
On cheat days I also cook rice pilaf and put the stir fry on top.

JulieJ08 12-17-2008 10:40 AM

Pineapple & peanuts!

Another goodie is green beans with sesame seeds.

Last night I added some cabbage. Instead of rice I had multigrain spaghetti - the cabbage really bulked it out but was hardly distinguishable amongst the green beans, onions and spaghetti. Plus it's one of those super healthy cruciferous veggies!

grneyedmustang 12-17-2008 10:54 AM

I love adding a little sesame oil to my stir fries. The flavor is amazing!

PhotoChick 12-17-2008 10:56 AM

Night before last I made stir fry:

cabbage
broccoli
carrots
onions
garlic

Then I made a sauce with ground peanuts, spicy garlic sauce, a little soy.

Toss all the veggies in the sauce, and top with chopped peanuts and chopped green onion.

Cheree 12-27-2008 12:35 PM

Great thread...I think doing stir-fry is a great way to get more vegetables in. Does anyone ever use the frozen stir-fry vegetables or the stir-fry vegetables that are already cut up that you might find at Whole Foods or Trader Joe's? Any favorites with those?

Thanks!

Beautiful Ace 12-27-2008 01:19 PM

I put canned baby corn into stir fry! I don't know how healthy that stuff is, but it's delicious.

mazza 12-27-2008 05:52 PM

Water chestnuts! The greatest stir fry addition everrrrrrrrrr.