organic, free range eggs

• sorry, I posted this under PB2 but it should be a new post.
    Frist time experience with organic eggs given to me by a friend to see if I like them and will buy more.
    First egg, when I broke it the egg white completely spread, the second egg the yolk broke when I cracked the egg. Is this normal?
    I did the freshness test by putting the egg in cold water, and it stayed at the bottom.
    Just would like to know what anyone elses experience is.
    Sophie
  • I only buy free range, organic eggs and haven't noticed any spreading. I typically get Egglands Best or....the name escapes me lol. But either way it could just be a fluke. I've have organic and non yolks break on me, that's not too unusual. It seems possible if they were handled roughly and transported with a lot of shaking that maybe some of the structure got compromised, but nothing that would affect the taste or nutrition. I hope you keep with them! They really are delicious. And thinking of happy little chickens running (do they run?) around a lawn instead of caged just makes them taste better to me!
  • I only buy free range eggs, and yes, the whites are sometimes runnier. I don't know why this is, but they cook the same, and I have not had any problems eating them. Never did the water test you refer to though.