Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 12-12-2008, 04:03 PM   #1  
sophie

Height: 5'4"

Default organic, free range eggs

sorry, I posted this under PB2 but it should be a new post.
Frist time experience with organic eggs given to me by a friend to see if I like them and will buy more.
First egg, when I broke it the egg white completely spread, the second egg the yolk broke when I cracked the egg. Is this normal?
I did the freshness test by putting the egg in cold water, and it stayed at the bottom.
Just would like to know what anyone elses experience is.
Sophie
sophie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 04:17 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 187/ticker/150

Height: 5'6

I only buy free range, organic eggs and haven't noticed any spreading. I typically get Egglands Best or....the name escapes me lol. But either way it could just be a fluke. I've have organic and non yolks break on me, that's not too unusual. It seems possible if they were handled roughly and transported with a lot of shaking that maybe some of the structure got compromised, but nothing that would affect the taste or nutrition. I hope you keep with them! They really are delicious. And thinking of happy little chickens running (do they run?) around a lawn instead of caged just makes them taste better to me!
vmo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 05:31 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 158/142/at or below 135 lbs.

Height: 5'5"

I only buy free range eggs, and yes, the whites are sometimes runnier. I don't know why this is, but they cook the same, and I have not had any problems eating them. Never did the water test you refer to though.
walking2lose is offline   Reply With Quote