What is Cilantro & Chipotless

• Both Cilantro and Chipotless were in the recipe for Southwestern Three Bean Salad and I don't know what they are. It's hard to look for something at the grocery when you're not sure what it is.

Thanks.
  • Hello,

I love to cook healthy mexican dishes so I am very familiar with these.

Cilantro is an herb that comes from the corriander seed. It is awesome. Sometimes I find it with the parsley in the produce section. Do not buy the dried variety as it does not taste anything like the fresh!!

A chipolte is a smoked jalepeno. I buy it in a can from the eithnic section.

I hope this helps!!
    Jo
  • Yanoula2, thanks so much. The recipe sounded good and I wanted to give a try. Not sure that I will be able to find fresh cilantro because I live in such a small town.
    Thanks again.
  • When you buy cilantro and don't use it all, put it stem side down in a class of water and lightly cover with a plastic bag and keep in the fridge. It will last several days this way. Some people will do this and leave on the kitchen counter. I can't we have cats that love greens.

Also, cilantro looks very similar to flat leaf parsely, so double check the tag thats wrapped around the bunch you pick up.

As Jo said cilantro is the leaf and coriander is the seed. If you grow cilantro (I do) if its not pinched back it will eventually form seeds (which is coriander). Yummy stuff.

Chipotles are yummy too.