Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 11-06-2008, 07:33 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 241.5/ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

Default Trader Joe's???

I just found out we're getting a Trader Joe's in our area - opening next week! I've never been to one before, but I've heard so much talk about good things that are only available there. So, my question is... what is your favorite healthy food item that is only available at Trader Joe's? I want to be prepared for my first shopping excursion. Thanks!
auntie g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 07:37 AM   #2  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

I want a Trader Joes. No one can tell me why they don't come here! We have everything else under the sun--Whole Foods, Central Market--but what I really want is TJ.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 08:55 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 140/120/118

Height: 5'3

So many but here are a few of my favs!

Chile-lime burgers(in the frozen foods)
Whole wheat english muffins
non-sorbate prunes
frozen bags of edamame
whole wheat pizza dough (already prepared-usually near the produce)
packaged salad mixes
feta cheese
I love Trader Joes! There prices are great and the quality is amazing!
azmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 08:59 AM   #4  

Height: 5'1"

AND their Greek yogurt is the best and so much cheaper than you find it at the grocery store. So is their NoPudge brownie mix. Lots of things are cheaper there than at the grocery store. It was the only place I could find the Ezekial bread too, but they finally started carrying it at my local grocery store.

go in, wonder around...too many treasures to list
the slim me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 09:29 AM   #5  
No longer super size!!!

S/C/G: 282/ticker/190

Height: 6' 0"

Here's my list:

Buffalo Burgers in the frozen section
Pre measured packs of roasted almonds
Pesto
Their famous wine (2.50, can't beat it!)
Freeze dried strawberries
Frozen precooked brown rice
grneyedmustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 10:18 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 258/ticker/135

Height: 5'3

Your so lucky. There isn't even a Trader Joe's in a 40 mile radius around my area.
Melody2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 10:24 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 185/see ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

Your going to love trader Joe's!!! I'm so upset. I'm moving next month and there won't be one where I will be living!

I love the Trader Joe's grilled eggplant parmesan!!! Its tastes just as good as one you would get in a restaurant without all the fat and calories! Its only 160 calories!!!

Another great item which I just discovered is the Trader Joe's everything crackers! Yummmy... It's great because you can have 15 crackers in a serving!

They have a lot of good frozen items without all the preservatives you find in name brands and a large supermarket. The frozen fruit and veggies are awesome! Be careful though... a lot of things look healthy, and they are but they still have a lot of calories!

Overall its a great store and I think you'll like the variety and healthier options they have! Hope that helped some!

Kritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 10:46 AM   #8  

Meatless meatballs
Frozen edamame
Mineral water
Red pepper and eggplant spread
Veggies - cheaper and fresher than the grocery store IMHO
Canadian Bacon - also cheaper than grocery store
Soy cheese - shredded and sliced
Unsweetened vanila almond milk
Stocks in a box - also cheaper than grocery store
Tomato soup in a box
Fat free feta
Fiberful - a fruit leather thingy
panini rolls - good sized rolls for 140 calories
Hebrew national 45 calorie hot dogs - cheaper than grocery store
Fresh Tuna, Wild salmon, tilapia

etc etc etc.. Lots of stuff is cheaper than the grocery store so look at everything.

They have free samples of something every day and I always try everything. I've found some new favorites that way.
LindaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 11:25 AM   #9  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I think Trader Joe's is fun for perusing. It has a lot of convenience foods and some unique items.

I don't really shop there much anymore since I went to the 'dark side' of Whole Foods which is better for what I buy.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 12:29 PM   #10  
I wanna be a loser, too

Height: vertically challenged

One thing I don't like is the prepackaged produce. I do buy the Just Leaves lettuce at times. But I'd like to pick out my peppers myself. I walk across the street to one just about every day. I like to see what they are sampling in the "Taste of Trader Joe's" area. Sometimes I have to ignore what they are serving. It was green bean casserole the other day. YUCK!

They have a soy chorizo that is wonderful. It really does taste like chorizo without all the fat, grease, etc. I bought some of the organic tomatoe and roasted pepper soup as well. We really like it.

I get my almond milk there. It is way cheaper than the regular grocery store. High fiber cereal as well.

They do have quite a bit of organic stuff there. Good prices.
cbmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 02:34 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5'2"

I guess if I had to pick one favorite thing, it would be their reduced/low fat salad dressings. They have two in the refrigerated area that I especially like. One is parmesan ranch, the other cilantro. There are several more that I like in the regular salad dressing area. Most purchased salad dressing taste like chemicals to me. For whatever reason, these from TJs don't have that same taste.

I also like their pound plus, 72%, dark chocolate bar imported from Belgium. It is a huge bar in a red wrapper. I break it up along the sections and freeze it. I eat one section after dinner.

I buy raw seeds, nuts and dried fruit to make my own snack mix. I got some at Costco once that I really liked, so I sort of semi-copied it with stuff from TJs.
gailr42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 02:58 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Yeah, we got Trader Joe's last year and I gotta say, I don't really see the hype. Other than the Two-Buck-Chuck (which is about $3 here), there's not anything at TJs that I can't get cheaper at Whole Foods or even my local grocery store.

It's fun to browse some of the things, but in general (this is just my opinon, and I don't mean to offend anyone! ) it's just a yuppie grocery store.

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 03:47 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 241.5/ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone! And I'll keep that in mind, too, PhotoChick... I've just heard so much hoopla over this store and never got to see it for myself, so I am a little excited!
auntie g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 03:54 PM   #14  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Photo - maybe your prices in grocery stores are cheaper down there? My grocery bill is an average of $15-20 cheaper when I shop at TJs vs. a grocery store here...

I love their pumpkin butter. It's seasonal, so get it while you can, but its a wonderful alternative to maple syrup on pancakes, and excellent drizzled on roasted butternut squash.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 04:03 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Quote:
Photo - maybe your prices in grocery stores are cheaper down there? My grocery bill is an average of $15-20 cheaper when I shop at TJs vs. a grocery store here...
Wow. Yeah, I think because TJ is seen as a "specialty" or "gourmet" store here, it's a little more price-inflated.

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote