Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 11-09-2008, 10:00 AM   #16  
99 lbs. Gone!

I guess I don't eat out enough to worry about it, Thighs Be Gone.
ToutDeSuite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 10:05 AM   #17  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

Honestly I don't worry about it. I guess it all depends on how often you eat in restaurants, but for me it's not worth the mental anguish. I make the best choices I can - look things up ahead of time, and order sensibly.

Anything else is out of my control (beyond the extent that I choose to eat in a restaurant, of course) and worrying about it isn't going to change it. If I'm *that* worried about it, then it's better for me to not eat in restaurants.

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 10:13 AM   #18  
starting over again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thighs Be Gone View Post
Do any of you ever "worry" that "light" dishes in restaurants aren't actually light. I find myself thinking about it often when I am out if I order something besides like a dry salad or grilled chicken or fish. I have started bringing my own salad dressing so I am no longer guessing about what the waiter brings. I also read last week that the salmon dish at Chili's has supposedly 400 calories. A man went undercover and actually tested what they brought him and it was 1200 calories! Am I just being pathetic for thinking about it?

I think about this also. Chains base their nutrition info on how it's supposed to be made, but I'm sure not every chain makes them exactly the same. If you eat out a lot then there is probably reason for concern. I only go to a sit down restaurant once every other month so if the cals in my meal are a little more than the nutrition info states, it shouldn't be enough to derail my weight loss efforts.
Marms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 02:14 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thighs Be Gone View Post
Do any of you ever "worry" that "light" dishes in restaurants aren't actually light. I find myself thinking about it often when I am out if I order something besides like a dry salad or grilled chicken or fish. I have started bringing my own salad dressing so I am no longer guessing about what the waiter brings. I also read last week that the salmon dish at Chili's has supposedly 400 calories. A man went undercover and actually tested what they brought him and it was 1200 calories! Am I just being pathetic for thinking about it?
Yes and no. Yes, because I just don't trust it to be accurate. No, because if I'm eating out, I just make the best choice I can, and let it go. If overall I'm still making progress (or maintaining, eventually), then I'm doing OK. If not, the answer is probably less eating out rather than going crazy over what to order and whether the published data is accurate.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote