Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 10-18-2008, 01:35 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 176/176/135

Height: 5"1

Default Does anyone can or put up their fruits/veggies?

I made homemade tomato sauce with tomatoes from our garden...
homemade salsa

made homemade white peach jam (full sugar; next yr we'll do less sugar one)
made homemade pear jelly (same as above)

canned sliced peaches and sliced pears

Now....does anyone here do this or is it too old school??
MarStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 07:03 AM   #2  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

I haven't been ambitious enough to can yet but I freeze berries and dehydrate just about everything else - apples, fruit leathers, peppers, cabbage, squash, tomatillos, tomatoes......

It used to be old school but with the price of produce and the focus on eating local it's becoming cool again
CyndiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 07:38 AM   #3  
Anne

S/C/G: 407/358-Dec2007/tracker/125

Height: 5'4"

I primarily can fruit (peaches, sweet cherries, sour cherries) and salsa, dills, hot sauce. Oh, and jams (different kinds). In the past I've done tomato sauce, tomatoes, etc. but I admit that I generally just buy canned tomatoes from Costco now. I'll freeze berries and dehydrate cherries, tomatoes and herbs. And my most recent kick is smoking. Last weekend I had my second attempt at brining and smoking a turkey (turned out quite well) to make my own lunch meat. I'll be trying to smoke a blade roast next weekend.
RealCdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 07:44 AM   #4  

S/C/G: SW308/CW159/GW170

Height: 5'7"

Since we are on a low carb diet, I've canned tomato juice, whole tomatoes, spaghetti sauce, salsa, ketchup, pizza sauce, grape jam, peach butter, canned apple pie filling, beans, peaches, pears, green beans and froze corn and peaches. I made most of the stuff with light sugars syrups, splenda or splenda blend. I will not do the ketchup again because it takes to long, but the flavor is great and it is so thick. I mix the ketchup and ground horseradish together to make my own cocktail sauce. Is it worth it in the long run? Yes, but what hard work. LOL!! Because of the spring rains and then the summer drought all of my produce came from other peoples gardens and that was not fun. My DD decided, after I'd given all of my extra canning supplies to the Amish that she wanted to can for the first time in her 38 year life. YIKES!!!! Been and interesting and busy summer.
nanj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 03:18 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 195/161/144

Height: 5'9"

I can tomatoes and make jam! I love it! And it makes great gifts!
Kofarq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 03:37 PM   #6  

apples are plentiful right now here and cheaper..

is it easy to do canned applesauce??? sliced apples?? anyone??
Old 10-18-2008, 03:44 PM   #7  
Anne

S/C/G: 407/358-Dec2007/tracker/125

Height: 5'4"

I don't do either, however, I know people who do applesauce and it comes out very well. I would think that apple slices would soften too much with the sterilizing. To keep the colour I'd add either lemon juice or vit C crystals. Or make it like my mother does (with skins tied in a bag to get a pink colour). My canning book says hot pack - sterilize pints 25 mins, quarts 30 mins.

Online link to a canning site: http://canningusa.com/TableofContentsGeneralBook2.htm
RealCdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 08:07 PM   #8  
Stinger

S/C/G: 0/0/0

Height: 5'5

Default Canning for 1st time

Online link to a canning site: http://canningusa.com/TableofContentsGeneralBook2.htm

Thanks for the link. I just started canning and love it! I canned some applesauce. I am thinking about how to use my green tomatoes before the frost gets them. I found some receipes on making and canning relish from green tomatoes. I may try this.
Stinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 04:31 PM   #9  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

We have a guava tree that produces a ton of guavas every year. Last year, at one point, I had five large mixing bowls filled with guavas on my counter. This particular variety of guava doesn't cook well, so just about the only thing I've figured out to do with them, other than just eat them (and I eat plenty, but there's only so many guavas a person can eat on a restricted calorie diet), is to make guava jelly. Last year I put up 100 jars (half pints) of jelly. Regular guava, raspberry guava, pomegranate guava, cinnamon guava, vanilla guava, cardamom guava, strawberry guava, ginger guava, cinnamon ginger guava, cinnamon raspberry guava, chardonnay guava... Towards the end of the season, I would just stand in the kitchen and look for stuff I could throw in with the guavas. Basically from the end of October to the beginning of January, I spend every weekend putting up jelly.

In addition to the guava jelly, I make other types of jams and preserves. I've made plum jam and apricot jam and Meyer Lemon marmalade.

And I make pickles (but not cucumber pickles, only other kinds of veggies). I've made pickled okra, pickled asparagus, pickled beans, and pickled cauliflower. I even made some pickled plums. This year I'm hoping to do some more okra and some eggplant.

Oh, and I've made green tomato salsa with the end of season green tomatoes from the garden. That comes out fantastic.

Last edited by BlueToBlue; 10-19-2008 at 04:32 PM.
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 05:11 PM   #10  

would love a green tomato salsa!

Wonder can we make a tomatillo sauce and can it?? I'll have to look into that!
Old 10-19-2008, 05:52 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 218/175/155

Height: 5'6"

I can jams, pickles, and some fruits.

I always do low sugar when I make jams, full sugar recipes are way too sweet for my taste. So sweet I can't eat them.
zenor77 is offline   Reply With Quote