3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Food Talk And Fabulous Finds (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/food-talk-fabulous-finds-17/)
-   -   So I bought some apple butter.... (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/food-talk-fabulous-finds/153823-so-i-bought-some-apple-butter.html)

luvja 10-11-2008 11:53 AM

So I bought some apple butter....

And I find it repulsive. :barf:
I put some on a whole grain bagel, and ended up throwing it out.
What are you suppose to use apple butter on?. I want to try almond butter, but I refuse to pay $8 for a TINY container of it!
Someone please tell me some ideas for apple butter, I really don't want to throw it out, it was expensive!

misserica3 10-11-2008 11:56 AM

i sometimes stir it into oatmeal.. it tastes pretty good

luvja 10-11-2008 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by misserica3 (Post 2404604)
i sometimes stir it into oatmeal.. it tastes pretty good

Hmmm, good idea. Maybe I'll give that a try. Thanks.

JulieJ08 10-11-2008 12:20 PM

Might also be a brand thing. I mean, think about the difference between, say, some storebought pies and homemade pies ;). I can't recommend a brand though, as I've never bought any. I just have it every once in a great while when my mom or sister makes it.

Marms 10-11-2008 01:36 PM

I put it on cottage cheese.

jessisaokay 10-11-2008 02:21 PM

I once bought apple butter from a store and thought it was gross too. Then i bought a jar from Lancaster (a mostly Amish town near me) and it is WONDERFUL (although loaded with added sugar). The brand is Bird-In-Hand (that really is the name of a town :p) although Im not sure that you would find it in canada.

bargoo 10-11-2008 04:57 PM

I like it on toast.

PhotoChick 10-11-2008 05:30 PM

I use fruit butter exactly the same way I'd use jam or jelly. On toast, on sandwiches, on bagels, on english muffins, in oatmeal, etc.

But fruit butters and nut butters are TOTALLY different things. You cannot say that because you don't like one, you won't like the other.

Fruit butters are fruits that are cooked down with sugar and spices - sometimes with butter added sometimes not. They're forms of fruit preserve. They have no inherent fats in them.

Nut butters are ground nuts. They contains the fats and oils that are part of the nut. They usually have a creamy, slightly oily texture.

They're totally different animals and can't be compared. :)

luvja 10-11-2008 08:04 PM

Yeah, I've never been a "jam" person, so I don't know what would make me think I'd enjoy this. But I will try it in oatmeal, however, I don't do cottage cheese... :barf: :lol:

suitejudyblueeyes 10-11-2008 08:32 PM

It's tasty in plain yogurt too. I also use it in baking - so don't toss it out just because you don't like it as-is! Just recently I made some pumpkin muffins with apple butter replacing part of the liquid and oil (much as some low-fat recipes will have you use apple sauce). Gives it a nice deep apple sweetness.

Wolf Goddess 10-12-2008 05:45 PM

Apple butter's flavor varies greatly by brand due to spices - I bought one once that was LOADED with cloves. I don't mind the flavor of cloves, in small, small doses.

I like to mix it with a little light cream cheese for a cracker spread.

gailr42 10-12-2008 11:14 PM

The brand I get is Kozlowski Farms. It comes in an octagonal bottle. It has no HFCS in it. I really like it. Besides on toast, I put it in plain yogurt. I could just eat it out of the jar, but I try to restrain myself.

zenor77 10-13-2008 01:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suitejudyblueeyes (Post 2404979)
It's tasty in plain yogurt too. I also use it in baking - so don't toss it out just because you don't like it as-is! Just recently I made some pumpkin muffins with apple butter replacing part of the liquid and oil (much as some low-fat recipes will have you use apple sauce). Gives it a nice deep apple sweetness.

I agree. If you bake, use it to replace some of the fat in recipes that have enough flavor that it won't overpower.

fld20 10-18-2008 12:55 AM

We make homemade apple butter and it's great on about anything . I love it on buckwheat cakes.

lizziep 10-18-2008 01:24 AM

i bought a regular store one i think smuckers and it was terrible horrible no good very bad. yuck! i think getting a farmers market/home mage one would be much better.

almond butter is worth the $8- i promise! sooo delish.

sweetnsassyfied 10-18-2008 11:57 AM

fld20: Care to share the recipe?? I've been looking for a good applebutter recipe. :)

fld20 10-18-2008 12:20 PM

I sure can I love this stuff .We do it outside over a fire in a really big pot . But here's the recipe split down to 1/3 to be cooked inside.
4gal of applesauce(we do homemade but store bought unsweetened would work)
4 lb's of sugar
2 oz of cinnamon
1/2 a bag of red hots
1/3 of one of those really small bottles of cinnamon oil
Start cooking the applesauce on low . As it starts getting warm slowlly stir in the sugar ,cinnamon , & red hots . Cook until it's thick enough to stay on a spoon . Remove from heat and add cinnamon oil . And it's done. :)

zeffryn 10-18-2008 03:05 PM

We make our own apple butter as well....but I agree, store bought is sometimes really bad.

We just chop up apples and throw them in a crock pot with a cinnamon stick and cook it down...and down some more....and down more....until it is far more thick than apple sauce and has a brown color to it. Then we add whatever other spices we want - usually just nutmeg and a little ginger.

My mom adds brown sugar to hers, but I prefer it without any added sugar.

it's so good mixed in with plain yogurt. I like plain yogurt with shredded apple, a little apple butter and almonds or pecans........mmmmmm....

walking2lose 10-18-2008 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jessisaokay (Post 2404722)
I once bought apple butter from a store and thought it was gross too. Then i bought a jar from Lancaster (a mostly Amish town near me) and it is WONDERFUL (although loaded with added sugar). The brand is Bird-In-Hand (that really is the name of a town :p) although Im not sure that you would find it in canada.

My mom is from Millersville (right next to Lancaster), and I grew up eating lots of apple butter - never came across any bad apple butter. The most common way my family ate it was on toast with little cream cheese. When bagels became popular, we always had a toasted bagel, a smear of cream cheese, topped with apple butter. I personally also like this combo on crackers (cream cheese and apple butter).

My mom also makes apple butter a couple times a year - I never heard of cinnamon hots or cinnamon oil in - but that might be good (if not a bit too sweet). Our recipe is similar to zeffyrn's.

I need to get some apple butter. I just bought some pumpkin butter the other day at TJs - good, but very sweet.

As far as the nut butters - be careful - they can be addictive, and although full of nutrition and good for you fats - they are highly caloric. I find it hard to stop at a tablespoon!

sweetnsassyfied 10-18-2008 11:07 PM

Thanks Ladies!! :)

So it doesnt matter what type of apples you use. There all good for this eh. ;)

oneupsteph 10-19-2008 03:12 PM

My favorite apple butter recipe? OK! :)

Phyllo bread
Apple Butter
Brie Cheese
Walnuts
Shallots
Pam

Take a sheet of phyllo bread, spray with Pam, lie another one on, spray with Pam, and a final one on, spray with Pam. Then slice them into 12 equal squares. Put a teaspoon of apple butter on each square, a piece of brie cheese, and a teaspoon of walnuts. Wrap up and tie with a shallot. (Or fold it over and pierce with a toothpick) Bake at 350 til crispy.

:hungry:

Per Square
Calories: 50
Fat: 2g
Sat Fat: 0.5g
Sodium: 35mg
Carbs: 7g
Sugar: 3g
Protein: 1g

fld20 10-19-2008 05:58 PM

I was going to add you dont actually have to use the red hots . You can also lower the sugar to taste we did less sugar in our batch today and it turned out quite nicelly.

iriswhispers 10-20-2008 12:26 AM

wow! crazy to hear people from the lancaster/millersville area on here, that's where I grew up! I've had lots of apple butter, always either homemade or bought at market where I guess it was technically still homemade, just not by my family! I've always really liked it, but then I've never had any mass produced "brands."

littlelilly 10-20-2008 06:23 PM

I have heard almond butter is quite tasty, although I have never been able to cough up the 8 dollars to pay for it.

littlelilly 10-20-2008 06:23 PM

I do like peanut butter though :) :)