Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 10-18-2008, 11:57 AM   #16  
Leaning out of Lurkdom ;)

Height: 5' 7"

fld20: Care to share the recipe?? I've been looking for a good applebutter recipe.
sweetnsassyfied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 12:20 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 190/181/160

Height: 5 ft 7 in

I sure can I love this stuff .We do it outside over a fire in a really big pot . But here's the recipe split down to 1/3 to be cooked inside.
4gal of applesauce(we do homemade but store bought unsweetened would work)
4 lb's of sugar
2 oz of cinnamon
1/2 a bag of red hots
1/3 of one of those really small bottles of cinnamon oil
Start cooking the applesauce on low . As it starts getting warm slowlly stir in the sugar ,cinnamon , & red hots . Cook until it's thick enough to stay on a spoon . Remove from heat and add cinnamon oil . And it's done.
fld20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 03:05 PM   #18  
beachin'

S/C/G: 240/125/130

Height: 5'8

We make our own apple butter as well....but I agree, store bought is sometimes really bad.

We just chop up apples and throw them in a crock pot with a cinnamon stick and cook it down...and down some more....and down more....until it is far more thick than apple sauce and has a brown color to it. Then we add whatever other spices we want - usually just nutmeg and a little ginger.

My mom adds brown sugar to hers, but I prefer it without any added sugar.

it's so good mixed in with plain yogurt. I like plain yogurt with shredded apple, a little apple butter and almonds or pecans........mmmmmm....
zeffryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 06:55 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 158/142/at or below 135 lbs.

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessisaokay View Post
I once bought apple butter from a store and thought it was gross too. Then i bought a jar from Lancaster (a mostly Amish town near me) and it is WONDERFUL (although loaded with added sugar). The brand is Bird-In-Hand (that really is the name of a town ) although Im not sure that you would find it in canada.
My mom is from Millersville (right next to Lancaster), and I grew up eating lots of apple butter - never came across any bad apple butter. The most common way my family ate it was on toast with little cream cheese. When bagels became popular, we always had a toasted bagel, a smear of cream cheese, topped with apple butter. I personally also like this combo on crackers (cream cheese and apple butter).

My mom also makes apple butter a couple times a year - I never heard of cinnamon hots or cinnamon oil in - but that might be good (if not a bit too sweet). Our recipe is similar to zeffyrn's.

I need to get some apple butter. I just bought some pumpkin butter the other day at TJs - good, but very sweet.

As far as the nut butters - be careful - they can be addictive, and although full of nutrition and good for you fats - they are highly caloric. I find it hard to stop at a tablespoon!
walking2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 11:07 PM   #20  
Leaning out of Lurkdom ;)

Height: 5' 7"

Thanks Ladies!!

So it doesnt matter what type of apples you use. There all good for this eh.
sweetnsassyfied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 03:12 PM   #21  
:)

Height: 5'7

My favorite apple butter recipe? OK!

Phyllo bread
Apple Butter
Brie Cheese
Walnuts
Shallots
Pam

Take a sheet of phyllo bread, spray with Pam, lie another one on, spray with Pam, and a final one on, spray with Pam. Then slice them into 12 equal squares. Put a teaspoon of apple butter on each square, a piece of brie cheese, and a teaspoon of walnuts. Wrap up and tie with a shallot. (Or fold it over and pierce with a toothpick) Bake at 350 til crispy.

Per Square
Calories: 50
Fat: 2g
Sat Fat: 0.5g
Sodium: 35mg
Carbs: 7g
Sugar: 3g
Protein: 1g

Last edited by oneupsteph; 10-19-2008 at 03:16 PM.
oneupsteph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 05:58 PM   #22  

S/C/G: 190/181/160

Height: 5 ft 7 in

I was going to add you dont actually have to use the red hots . You can also lower the sugar to taste we did less sugar in our batch today and it turned out quite nicelly.
fld20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 12:26 AM   #23  

S/C/G: 170/143/125

Height: 5'4"

wow! crazy to hear people from the lancaster/millersville area on here, that's where I grew up! I've had lots of apple butter, always either homemade or bought at market where I guess it was technically still homemade, just not by my family! I've always really liked it, but then I've never had any mass produced "brands."

Last edited by iriswhispers; 10-20-2008 at 12:28 AM.
iriswhispers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 06:23 PM   #24  

I have heard almond butter is quite tasty, although I have never been able to cough up the 8 dollars to pay for it.
littlelilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 06:23 PM   #25  

I do like peanut butter though
littlelilly is offline   Reply With Quote