Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 09-21-2008, 12:08 PM   #1  
Now with 10% less fat!

S/C/G: 139/120.2/106

Height: 4'11"

Default I need ideas for low-cal, low-carb snacks.

I am just starting out trying to lose weight, and I have a blood-sugar condition that makes it a bit tricky.

In order to keep my blood sugar stable, I have to eat several small meals/snacks throughout the day, and avoid too many high-carb/high-sugar foods.

Things like fruit and granola, even though they're healthy, aren't good for me to have too much.

What do low-carb dieters eat for snacks? I need some ideas!

Last edited by smallification; 09-21-2008 at 12:09 PM.
smallification is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 12:46 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

String cheese, savory cottage cheese with salsa, sliced pepperoni, hummus with vegetables, celery sticks with a measured serving of peanut butter, a measured serving of almonds, hard boiled eggs.

Last edited by Glory87; 09-21-2008 at 12:46 PM.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 02:16 PM   #3  
99 lbs. Gone!

Yogurt, diet devilled eggs, apple slices with peanut butter, frappucino/cappucino made with milk and sugar-free cappucino mix, Hebrew Nat'l 97% fat-free hot dogs, cup of white chicken chili. If you can have whole wheat bread:

cucumber sandwich (made with herb & garlic whipped cream cheese and cucumber slices)

French toast with SF syrup

tuna salad

curried or lemon peppered chicken salad

grilled cheese
ToutDeSuite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 02:49 PM   #4  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

If you know this already, just roll your eyes at my stating the obvious, but if by keeping your blood sugar stable, you mean that you tend towards hypoglycemia or low blood sugar, remember that you need to carry not only low-carb snacks, but a high carb one as well. Low carb snacks can prevent low blood sugar, but if you miscalculate and find yourself in low blood sugar, you could need something faster acting (especially if you're on medication to lower blood sugar, it's less common with some like metformin than say insulin, but it still can happen).

As for low carb snacks, I love jerky, but it's hard (but not impossible) to find a brand that isn't outrageously high in sodium. I don't need to avoid sodium for health reasons, but I do not like the taste of too much salt, and almost all commercial brands have too much for me. As a result, I make my own. I don't eat it very frequently, as it's still fairly high in salt (without salt, jerky should be frozen to prevent spoilage).
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 10:57 PM   #5  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

Here are some of my favorites:
  • 1/4 cup FF cottage cheese mixed with 1/4 FF yogurt, sweetened with splenda and cinnamon. Sometimes I top it with 1 oz berries or figs.
  • Omelet of 1/4 cup egg beaters and 1/4 cup refried beans, topped with salsa.
  • Protein pancakes with a little FF cream cheese.
  • Canned sardines or herring
  • Flavored tuna (e.g., 1/2 can BumbleBee's Tuna Sensations) in a low carb wrap.

Also, what about oatmeal or oat bran? It's not low carb, but it's very low sugar (assuming you make the unsweetened kind and then sweeten it with a SF sweetener). Almost all of the carbs in it are fiber, so maybe it would be okay. Oatmeal is one of my favorite snacks.

Last edited by BlueToBlue; 09-21-2008 at 10:58 PM.
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 10:15 PM   #6  
Now with 10% less fat!

S/C/G: 139/120.2/106

Height: 4'11"

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaplods View Post
If you know this already, just roll your eyes at my stating the obvious, but if by keeping your blood sugar stable, you mean that you tend towards hypoglycemia or low blood sugar, remember that you need to carry not only low-carb snacks, but a high carb one as well. Low carb snacks can prevent low blood sugar, but if you miscalculate and find yourself in low blood sugar, you could need something faster acting (especially if you're on medication to lower blood sugar, it's less common with some like metformin than say insulin, but it still can happen).
Oh don't I know it. I recently ran out of my emergency orange juice stash at work, and decided to last through one more meeting before going for lunch... and fainted. Nothing makes an impression in the boardroom like fainting, I've gotta tell you.

Having had a couple of bad spells lately is what has gotten me back on track to controlling my weight and sugar.

Thanks for all the ideas, folks!
smallification is offline   Reply With Quote