Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 09-17-2008, 09:13 AM   #46  
beachin'

S/C/G: 240/125/130

Height: 5'8

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenor77 View Post
Now, now, not all of them are quacks!

I know quite a few who actually know their stuff and don't buy into all the scare tactics.
ok, ok, I'll give that to you on Naturopaths....but I'm not budging a bit on chiropractors. A friend of mine was visiting a chiropractor a few years ago, told him that her mom had brain cancer that had spread all over her body....he told her to bring her mother in and see if he could "crack it out of her".

Last edited by zeffryn; 09-17-2008 at 09:13 AM.
zeffryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 09:17 AM   #47  
ddc
getting back to 140

S/C/G: 155/154.2/140

Height: 5'7"

I'm scared of chiropractors. I had a friend who's husband went in for an adjustment and came out in a coma. He eventually came out of it, but she said his whole personality changed. They had owned two gyms and wound up losing them both because he couldn't work anymore.
I know that chiropractors do help some people, but I'm just not going there !

Last edited by ddc; 09-17-2008 at 09:17 AM.
ddc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 09:33 AM   #48  
Ruth

S/C/G: 98.0/95.5/69.0

Height: 173cm

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeffryn View Post
ok, ok, I'll give that to you on Naturopaths....but I'm not budging a bit on chiropractors. A friend of mine was visiting a chiropractor a few years ago, told him that her mom had brain cancer that had spread all over her body....he told her to bring her mother in and see if he could "crack it out of her".

My sympathies to your friend, but remember:

The plural of "anecdote" is NOT "data".

Applying one case to a whole profession is a gross generalisation that insults the legitimate members of that profession, and makes a statement about you. It's like saying all gynaecologists are rapists because one of them sexually assaulted someone once.

My chiropractor has helped me a great deal, and I've been to several good ones over the years. Maybe your friend needs to find a new chiro.
Primm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 09:48 AM   #49  
beachin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primm View Post

Applying one case to a whole profession is a gross generalisation that insults the legitimate members of that profession, and makes a statement about you. It's like saying all gynaecologists are rapists because one of them sexually assaulted someone once.

My chiropractor has helped me a great deal, and I've been to several good ones over the years. Maybe your friend needs to find a new chiro.
I never said it was "data" or fact, it is a personal opinion of mine. I do not intend to change people's minds about who takes care of their medical health. I'm glad that you have had good luck with them, but for me and my family - we have not.

I knew this conversation would cause panties to bunch.
Old 09-17-2008, 09:55 AM   #50  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I know the conversation has turned but yeah not all chiropractors are the same...

I had back problems years ago and went to a really good chiropractor. My back hasn't had problems since. A couple years ago, I tried to go to a chiropractor again but really didn't feel like it was helping and so quit. Similar to any service, sometimes you get bad service, sometimes good but the good ones are golden.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 10:11 AM   #51  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

Quote:

Amen to that.

I adore my chiro. The work I do is alternating hugely physical days 1 or 2 days a week with 5 days of sitting on my butt. I go to a massage therapist and a chiro regularly and both of them have helped me immensely.

Not all chiros are quacks.
Not all dentists are sadists.
etc.

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 10:15 AM   #52  
Ruth

S/C/G: 98.0/95.5/69.0

Height: 173cm

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeffryn View Post
I knew this conversation would cause panties to bunch.
My panties aren't bunched. I'm in my jammies - no panties here (at the moment anyway!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoChick View Post
Amen to that.

I adore my chiro. The work I do is alternating hugely physical days 1 or 2 days a week with 5 days of sitting on my butt. I go to a massage therapist and a chiro regularly and both of them have helped me immensely.

etc.

Yep. I don't think I could survive without my massage therapist or my chiro. Thank goodness for kick-*** health insurance!
Primm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 10:36 AM   #53  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddc View Post
I'm scared of chiropractors. I had a friend who's husband went in for an adjustment and came out in a coma. He eventually came out of it, but she said his whole personality changed. They had owned two gyms and wound up losing them both because he couldn't work anymore.
I know that chiropractors do help some people, but I'm just not going there !
My parents have a good friend named John who went to see a chiropractor and ended up paralyzed. Something terrible happened during the procedure and the chiropractor freaked out and didn't call 911 for nearly 2 hours while John lay paralyzed. He spent months in the hospital, needed major sugery and is still doing rehabilitation work - he is now able to walk again, thank god.

This isn't one of those "friend of a friend" stories or my parents "knew a guy" this is a real story of a man my parents have known since I was a child. My parents are still good friends with John and his wife, and I see them every time I visit. I will pass on chiropractors.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 11:21 AM   #54  

S/C/G: see ticker

Quote:
Amen to that.

etc.

I think "all the chiros are quacks" is too broad. The ones who are addressing back/skeletal issues are fine. The ones who claim chiro will cure everything from baldness to near-sightedness are weirdos.
BettyBooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 11:25 AM   #55  

Quote:
My parents have a good friend named John who went to see a chiropractor and ended up paralyzed. Something terrible happened during the procedure and the chiropractor freaked out and didn't call 911 for nearly 2 hours while John lay paralyzed. He spent months in the hospital, needed major sugery and is still doing rehabilitation work - he is now able to walk again, thank god.

This isn't one of those "friend of a friend" stories or my parents "knew a guy" this is a real story of a man my parents have known since I was a child. My parents are still good friends with John and his wife, and I see them every time I visit. I will pass on chiropractors.
Yeabbut ...

That's like saying my friend's oncologist misdiagosed his cancer for 6 months and as a result he's now in stage V pancreatic cancer (this is true) so all oncologists are quacks.

Or my dentist advised me not to worry about a small pre-cavity on my upper right 1st molar, and 8 months later I had to have a root canal and a crown (also true) so all dentists are quacks.

Or my mom's doctor missed her heart condition and 3 weeks later she died of a heart attack (also true), so all GPs are quacks.

You cannot take one bad experience with one person and use that to damn and condemn an entire profession made up of thousands of people. It's unreasonable and illogical.

Old 09-17-2008, 11:26 AM   #56  
beachin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettyBooty View Post
I think "all the chiros are quacks" is too broad. The ones who are addressing back/skeletal issues are fine. The ones who claim chiro will cure everything from baldness to near-sightedness are weirdos.
Just so I don't piss anybody off, I'll change my statement.

Yes, Bettybooty, I agree with this statement.

Last edited by zeffryn; 09-17-2008 at 11:46 AM.
Old 09-17-2008, 11:29 AM   #57  

Quote:
exactly.
Um. But that's NOT 'exactly' what you said. What you said was:

we don't even need to start a discussion on what I think of naturopaths and chiropractors.

I'm not budging a bit on chiropractors.

I'm going ot state again that condemning an entire profession based on the actions of a few bad ones is unreasonable.

Old 09-17-2008, 11:42 AM   #58  
beachin'

Quote:
Yeabbut ...

That's like saying my friend's oncologist misdiagosed his cancer for 6 months and as a result he's now in stage V pancreatic cancer (this is true) so all oncologists are quacks.

Or my dentist advised me not to worry about a small pre-cavity on my upper right 1st molar, and 8 months later I had to have a root canal and a crown (also true) so all dentists are quacks.

Or my mom's doctor missed her heart condition and 3 weeks later she died of a heart attack (also true), so all GPs are quacks.

You cannot take one bad experience with one person and use that to damn and condemn an entire profession made up of thousands of people. It's unreasonable and illogical.

In the same right, asking her to visit a chiropractor after having that kind of traumatic experience is a bit unreasonable. I'm sure that Chiro had quite a few patients that thought he was kin to god and would recommend him to anybody. I don't think she was trying to damn the entire profession, but saying that she, personally, will pass is completely reasonable. She never once tried to sway someone else into making the same decision.

Everyone is open to their own opinions, and like it or not, they may differ. I cannot accept that it isn't ok for her to point out her opinion, but definitely ok for pro-chiros to do so.

The point of a debate is to hear both sides. Honestly, neither side has showed anything more than anecdotal evidence to support their case.
Old 09-17-2008, 11:45 AM   #59  
beachin'

Quote:
Um. But that's NOT 'exactly' what you said. What you said was:

we don't even need to start a discussion on what I think of naturopaths and chiropractors.

I'm not budging a bit on chiropractors.

I'm going ot state again that condemning an entire profession based on the actions of a few bad ones is unreasonable.

um....what I meant was that I agree with her. Would you prefer that I change my statement to "I agree with you"?

My saying that I'm not budging on chiropractors means just that....I'm not going to budge. I've had far too many bad experiences to try again....I'm really happy that you and so many others have had great experiences...but it seems like I'm not alone in my concern about Chiros.

I'm sure there are chiros out there that do just what they are intended to do...crack backs...but from my experience, the ones that I personally have seen, have acted as shamans thinking every ailment in the world was brought on by a subluxation in the spine. I honestly do not think that cracking ones back and pulling on legs will cure cancer or stop pre-term labor (as in my first child and experience with chiros).

Last edited by zeffryn; 09-17-2008 at 11:52 AM.
Old 09-17-2008, 09:05 PM   #60  

S/C/G: 218/175/155

Height: 5'6"

Okay, I'll bite...

I've gone to Chiropractors off and on for years, for back problems. I have an extra vertebra, so Chiropractors have been helpful for me. I don't go all the time.

That being said, there is always a very small danger when adjusting the neck that something could go wrong. Of course, the danger is probably similar when playing contact sports. "Regular" doctors make mistakes all the time as well. It just goes to show that people should do their homework and not just pick a doctor (of any kind) willy-nilly.

I do think Chiropractic care can be helpful with some conditions not typically associated with bad problems. I had carpel tunnel problems that were relieved through Chiropractic care (I avoided surgery) and I know some types of headaches can be a symptom of back issues.

If someone is uncomfortable with something, then of course, they shouldn't do it. People should be able to make their own choices without risk of judgment.
zenor77 is offline   Reply With Quote