Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 09-15-2008, 07:05 PM   #1  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Default Chick-free Buffalo Wings!

Buffalo wings used to be one of my favorite things as long as they were spicy and dry. I never liked the stringiness of the chicken but I loved the flavor. Yesterday, I saw Chicken-Free buffalo wings on sale and decided to grab 2 boxes and I'm glad I did! They are absolutely delicious. There are also very few things which I would need a double take to ensure that they are meat free and this is one of them. I would compare it to very moist chicken and even looks like it when you bite into it, its a bit creepy if you ask me but very good!

http://www.healthiswealthfoods.com/c...ffalowings.htm

Each serving is 130 calories, 2.5g fat, 4g fiber and 13g protein.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 07:19 PM   #2  
change

S/C/G: 169/ticker/healthy

Height: 5'3" ish?

funny, you and i discovered the same things on the same day. this was my dinner last night. i was pleasantly surprised.
ollie27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 09:38 PM   #3  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Morningstar Farms or Boca (I think it's Morningstar, but I could be wrong) have a chicken free buffalo wing, and they're really good too, but they're shaped like chicken nuggets, not wing pieces. As a meat eater, I don't find the texture "could be mistaken for meat," as they have more the texture of a slightly dried, then fried (they're baked) stuffing ,more so than chicken, but the taste and texture were very good, I thought.

They're not really "low-cal," but they are lower in calories and less fatty than "real" chicken nuggets. I'd recommend them even to people who eat meat, because they taste so good. A vegetarian coworker when I was at State Farm, would bring them to food days, and he definitely converted many of us to the Morningstar product line (the "corn dogs" aren't too bad, either).

Last edited by kaplods; 09-15-2008 at 09:38 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 10:04 PM   #4  
Just Me

Unfortunately for me, most moringstar products aren't vegan so I avoid them. I'd say the same for the health is wealth nuggets, they aren't exactly low calorie (well I had 2 servings because 3 nuggets was a crime ) but they are lower fat and aren't bad overall.
Old 09-15-2008, 10:35 PM   #5  
Progress not perfection

S/C/G: 235/170/150

Height: 5'7

I always check the labels with the fake meat products... what things do you look out for to make sure its vegan?
Those look great!
jillnicole03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 08:30 AM   #6  
Just Me

Well these make it easy because it says VEGAN on the front Sometimes they will say vegan on the box.

If they are vegetarian, I'll look for milk, whey, eggs, lactose, etc. I've been used to reading labels for years for weight loss so it isn't much different. Most morningstar products have eggs in them for example, but I think they have one veggie burger that doesn't.