3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Food Talk And Fabulous Finds (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/food-talk-fabulous-finds-17/)
-   -   Salmon???? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/food-talk-fabulous-finds/150228-salmon.html)

AngelMae 08-27-2008 08:07 PM

Salmon????

Does anyone have any good recipes for salmon?? I am not a huge fan of it but I would like to start eating more. My BF and DS love it so I want to cook it more often but just dont have any good recipes?

Thanks Angel! :)

Glory87 08-27-2008 08:34 PM

Here is my current, favorite recipe for salmon. It is simple and delicious. I serve it over brown rice (there's usually some tasty sauce to spoon over the rice) with a green vegetable.

Maple-glazed salmon

INGREDIENTS
1/4 cup maple syrup
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 pound salmon

DIRECTIONS
In a small bowl, mix the maple syrup, soy sauce, garlic, garlic salt, and pepper.
Place salmon in a shallow glass baking dish, and coat with the maple syrup mixture. Cover the dish, and marinate salmon in the refrigerator 30 minutes, turning once.
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
Place the baking dish in the preheated oven, and bake salmon uncovered 20 minutes, or until easily flaked with a fork.

NUTRITION INFORMATION
Servings Per Recipe: 4
Amount Per Serving
Calories: 265
Total Fat: 12.4g
Cholesterol: 67mg
Sodium: 639mg
Total Carbs: 14.2g
Dietary Fiber: 0.1g
Protein: 23.1g

AngelMae 08-28-2008 06:39 PM

Wow that sounds yummy!! I am going to try that tomorrow!! My SO will be so shocked to see salmon on the table! :)

Thanks Glory!

SunshineCA 08-29-2008 01:00 AM

Balsamic Glazed Salmon

This is a recipe from the Quick and Easy South Beach Diet Cookbook. (page 139)

Balsamic Glazed Salmon
Prep Time: 5 minutes Cook Time: 12 minutes

Reducing balsamic vinegar (simmering it until it decreases in volume) turns it into a thick and flavorful glaze that, because of its sweet taste, pairs perfectly with rich salmon. Once you have this easy sauce mastered, you can try it on grilled steaks, chicken, or pork.

4 (6-ounce) salmon fillets
1 cup balsamic vinegar
2 teaspoons extra-virgin oil
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Heat oven to 450 degrees Farenheit

Season salmon with salt and pepper; place in an ovenproof baking dish and bake until opaque throughout, 10 to 12 minutes.

While fish is cooking, place vinegar in a small saucepan. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring frequently, until reduced to 1/3 cup, 8 to 10 minutes. Remove from heat, whisk in oil and lemon juice, and season with salt and pepper. Place salmon on serving plates and drizzle with glaze.

Makes 4 servings

Nutrition at a Glance
Per Serving: 380 calories, 21g fat, 4.5g saturated fat, 34g protein, 9g carbohydrate, 0g dietary fiber, 100mg cholesterol, 190mg sodium

Bon appetit! :hun:

AngelMae 08-29-2008 08:45 PM

Thanks Sunshine, that one sounds good too. I am going to try both of them!

SunshineCA 08-30-2008 10:56 PM

You're welcome. I'll post another one when I find it. :)

zenor77 08-31-2008 01:05 AM

We eat salmon a lot, but since it's pricey (I only eat wild) I end up making salmon patties a lot (with canned salmon.)

I add the follow to one 14oz can of salmon to make 4 patties:

1 egg
1t dijon mustard
a couple handfuls of bread crumbs (whole wheat is good)
whatever seasoning I'm in the mood for (herbs, spices, capers, but no salt! Otherwise they'll be salty.)

Form into patties and brown in a pan on the stove. I usually just serve these with a salad or other veggie, but they make great salmon burgers too.

SunshineCA 08-31-2008 06:15 PM

Hmmmm...that's strange! :?: I posted another recipe yesterday but it disappeared.

I'll post it again once I get my book.

Be back in a bit. ;)

SunshineCA 08-31-2008 06:34 PM

Grilled Salmon with Rosemary

Let's try this again! ;) This recipe was taken from the paperback version of the South Beach Diet Cookbook on page 162. I've also done something similar to this with pork chops. Yumm-O! :)

1 pound salmon
2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon salt
Pinch freshly ground black pepper
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 teaspoons fresh rosemary leaves, chopped, or 1 teaspoon dried, crushed
Fresh rosemary sprigs (optional)
Capers (optional)

Cut the fish into 4 equal-size portions. Combine the olive oil, lemon juice, salt, pepper, garlic, and rosemary in a bowl. Brush the mixture onto the fish.

To grill, arrange the fish on a grill rack or use a grill basket sprayed with olive oil cooking spray. Grill over medium-hot coals until the fish flakes easily (allow 4-6 minutes per 1/2" of thickness). If the fish is more than 1" thick, gently turn it halfway through grilling.

To broil, spray the rack of a broiler pan with olive oil cooking spray and arrange the fish on it. Broil 4" from the heat for 4-6 minutes per 1/2" of thickness. If the fish is more than 1" thick, gently turn it halfway through broiling.

To serve, top the fish with capers, if using, and garnish with rosemary sprigs, if desired.

Serves 4

Nutrition at a Glance:

Per Serving: 231 calories, 23g protein, 1g carbohydrates, 15g fat, 3g saturated fats, 213mg sodium, 67mg cholesterol, og fiber

Bon appetit! :chef:

Turqoise67 08-31-2008 06:58 PM

Here is one for you AngelMae, It is from Paula Dean's cookbook
SALMON FROM THE GARDEN
2 SALMON FILETS
HOUSE SEASONING
SAGE, ROSEMARY, THYME
LEMON OR ORANGE SLICES

TAKE SALMON, PUT BUTTER ON TOP
SPRINKLE HOUSE SEASONING ON TOP
SPRINKLE THE SAGE, ROSEMARY, THYME
IF USING FRESH HERBS, STRIP GREEN LEAVES OFF STEM
PUT LEMON OR ORANGE SLICES ON TOP

LAY ON FOIL AND MAKE A TENT.
BAKE AT 350 DEGREES FOR 13 MINUTES

HOUSE SEASONING IS:
1 CUP SALT
1/4 CUP BLACK PEPPER
1/4 CUP GARLIC POWDER

THIS RECIPE IS VERY GOOD, I MAKE IT ALL OF THE TIME

Stephanie Brim 08-31-2008 08:48 PM

I like lemon, garlic, salt, pepper, and olive oil. I make a marinade of those things, put the salmon in a bag with the marinade, and leave it sit in the fridge for at least an hour. Reserve some marinade, though. Afterwards I make a cute little packet with tin foil of the salmon and mixed vegetables of your choice (sugar snap peas, broccoli, carrots, and mixed bell peppers are my favorite). Serve over rice or pasta. When serving with pasta I use the rest of the marinade as a dressing and toss to coat the pasta and the veggies.

AngelMae 09-01-2008 09:03 PM

Thanks everyone! I am going to try them all, I really want to eat more salmon!

BlueToBlue 09-02-2008 04:02 AM

This is my all-time favorite salmon recipe. It's a great change of pace from typical fish recipes.

Broiled Salmon and Fresh Berry Sauce
1/2 cup sliced green onions
3 tbsp brown sugar
3 tbsp soy sauce
1 cup orange juice
2 tbsp white wine vinegar
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground white pepper (or black pepper)
1 lb salmon
1 tbsp corn starch
2 cups fresh raspberries

Combine all ingredients except salmon and raspberries in a bowl and whisk well. Add salmon and marinate for half an hour.

Remove salmon from marinade (reserve marinade) and broil.

While salmon is cooking, heat reserved marinade in saucepan. Mix cornstarch with small amount of marinade then add to the saucepan and continue heating until sauce is somewhat thickened and heated through. Add raspberries and cook 1 minute more. Pour sauce over salmon. You may want to serve this in bowls because, even with the cornstarch, the sauce is soupy.

4 servings at about 320 calories each.

MBN 09-02-2008 06:00 AM

We eat salmon all of the time. I like to get a big filet and simply broil it for 9-10 minutes (skin side down), until it flakes but is still very pink in the middle. We love sashimi, so we like it on the rare side! Then we serve it with soy sauce, ginger and wasabi. So easy and quick. Add steamed rice and salad and it's a meal.

carrie77 09-13-2008 06:00 PM

I marinade my salmon in freshly chopped cilantro and squeezed lime juice. It adds a naturally sweet but subtle flavour to the fish. I serve it over brown rice and sprinkle a little bit of slivered almonds overtop.