Soy Milk

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • Hi all,

One of the things that's happened since I found 3FC is that I've been trying new foods that I would have been too afraid to try before. Fortunately, I've enjoyed most of these items . I loved Hebrew National 97% free hotdogs. I love these cilantro flavored chicken sausages from Trader Joes.

Soy milk is another product I've been considering. I'm not a big milk fan in the first place, so I'm a little worried.

Are there any brands that taste better? Are these milks really that much better for us nutritionally? Do they work in recipes?

Thanks for any ideas or suggestions you might have!
  • I drink Silk chocolate and vanilla soy milk right now, 3 times a day, and it seems to help me maintain a full feeling longer. I don't know if it's the protein or what, but it tastes good and it's relatively low calorie. The light is even lower. I'd recommend it to anyone who wants to try soy milk.
  • I actually prefer unsweetened almond milk to soy milk. It is good in cereal as well as in recipes. I highly highly recommend it.
  • Silk Vanilla on Special K YUM!!!!!!! I hate milk with a passion and actually have issues digesting it (kind of like lactose intolerancy, except I can eat cheese) I can't really drink soy milk straight up, but like I said DE-LISH on cereal.
  • Westsoy unsweetened vanilla and plain unsweetened are both really tasty by themselves or with cereal. The ones I like come in 32 oz cartons and while they have protein, fiber, and a little iron, they aren't vitamin fortified like some soymilks, so they aren't a nutritional substitute for dairy.
  • I second the unsweetened almond milk. I get the Almond Breeze vanilla flavor. Yum!!
  • I love 8th Continent Light Vanilla on my cereal. It's delicious and it's low cals/points!
  • I'm with you, I never really cared for milk in the first place! Made it easy to find a sub that I like.

Also an unsweetened almond milk person here... I love the stuff. The sweetened varieties taste odd to me for some reason, though I might be the only person in my area who likes the unsweetened stuff - my usual grocer has now stopped carrying the unsweetened and only stocks the sweet kind! :/

My fallback is unsweetened vanilla Silk soy milk... Though I try not to have that too often because I otherwise get plenty of soy in my diet (via tofu, edamame, and soy as a very common food additive) and don't want to overdo it.
  • The only suggestion I have is that you make sure whatever milk you drink (soy, almond, etc) that it is fortified with calcium since you are not drinking regular milk anymore. I buy Lactaid because I am lactose intolerant and always grab the calcium-fortified one.
  • Another Silk fan here. I like the Very Vanilla that's calcium fortified (says "for kids" but us old broads need our calcium too ). I actually like to mix half vanilla and half reduced fat chocolate. Throw it in a blender with some ice cubes and you'd swear you were having a milk shake

I'm thinking I may have to try that almond milk though...........
  • I mostly drink Silk because I can get 3 in a box at Sam's Club for a reasonable cost. However, I've purchased other brands if it's on sale. I'm not really picky about it.
  • I like unsweetened almond milk in cereal. I cook with soy, almond or rice milk, depending on the recipe. Same for drinking. Unsweetened is best for me, or any flavor other than vanilla. I like WestSoy or Eden, and I buy it in the shelf stable box so it keeps longer.
  • Quote: I mostly drink Silk because I can get 3 in a box at Sam's Club for a reasonable cost. However, I've purchased other brands if it's on sale. I'm not really picky about it.
    Do they have the chocolate in 3 packs? I need to go back soon and I've been wondering. I'll get the vanilla for my Honey Bunches of Oats fix in the morning.
  • I used to drink Silk Vanilla- but I just didn't really like the taste & the chunky floaters that sometimes happened (they mean it when they say shake well). I switched to fortified Rice Dream vanilla and I'm much happier. I only ever use any kind of milk for cereal - and regular milk grosses me out- but the rice milk doesn't upset my stomach when even soy milk sometimes did- and it seems to be a little less strong tasting to me. It is however, much thinner which some people do not like.
  • I like the vanilla silk with Kashi Go Lean Crunch Cereal!!!