3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Food Talk And Fabulous Finds (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/food-talk-fabulous-finds-17/)
-   -   this salad did a number on my stomach (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/food-talk-fabulous-finds/150104-salad-did-number-my-stomach.html)

OnceUponADrive 08-26-2008 09:03 AM

this salad did a number on my stomach

I got a fabulous salad last night from my local diner. It was spinach, grilled chicken, feta cheese, bacon, hard boiled egg, and ceasar dressing. I ate less than half and have the other half at work with me for lunch. Shortly after eating I started to have HORRIBLE gas. I mean some of the most vile smelling gas I've ever experienced (sorry if this is gross). I was in the bathroom quite a few times and never actually had diarrhea, but felt on the verge of it for a few hours until I took some Immodium and it finally calmed down. Do you think it was from the feta cheese? I eat cheese regularly but never had feta before last night. I took the cheese out of the salad and am hoping it'll be safe for lunch today. I don't want to waste it.

luvja 08-26-2008 09:25 AM

Could be the cheese or maybe spinach. Personally, I can't eat salad :( My body cannot digest lettuce. I get violently ill when I eat salad.

OnceUponADrive 08-26-2008 09:42 AM

I eat lots of salad, especially spinach, and never had a problem. I guess it's also possible it was the dressing, especially since it's ceasar.

carinna 08-26-2008 09:48 AM

Could have been the eggs. :shrug:

ddc 08-26-2008 09:56 AM

My vote is also for the eggs.
Though, it could be any of those ingredients.
All of them could have *potentially* been bad and caused intestinal discomfort.

OnceUponADrive 08-26-2008 10:18 AM

Well I'll avoid everything except the spinach and chicken this afternoon and cross my fingers!

zenor77 08-26-2008 01:08 PM

Most restaurants rinse their salad greens in a sulfur (I believe~it might be another chemical~I could have it wrong) solution to keep them fresh and to clean them. If the solution is strong it can cause symptoms like that. It's quite common for restaurant salads to cause problems, when salads at home do not.

OnceUponADrive 08-26-2008 02:04 PM

Thanks. Well I ate the salad just with the chicken. So if I get the symptoms again I guess I'll know that's what it's from. It certainly SMELLED like sulfer when it came out of me! So gross. I have training this afternoon so god help me if it happens again in the conference room with people around!

ddc 08-26-2008 02:43 PM

Exercise those sphincter muscles--lol!!
I know, too much information--lol!!

SunshineCA 08-31-2008 07:30 PM

All in all, despite your discomfort, sounds like a great salad! :)

Hopefully everything worked out for the best with your tummy. :)