Couscous??

• I have just bought a little box of whole wheat couscous, I've never had it before, but got the idea from this website!. I'm just wondering if anyone can tell me what makes a good couscous? Spices/ veggies? Some ideas would be great!
    Thanks in advance
  • Couscous is great - you can do all kinds of things with it. I always use chicken broth instead of water to cook it, to start, which improves the flavor a LOT. Tonight I'm making this one:

1 cup dry whole wheat couscous
    1 cup low sodium chicken broth
    ¼ tsp black pepper
    ¼ tsp salt
    ¼ cup roasted red pepper, finely chopped
    1 cloves garlic, minced
    ¼ cup basil leaves, sliced into fine chiffonade

Bring the chicken broth, salt, and pepper to a rolling boil. Stir in the couscous, red pepper, and garlic, remove from heat, and cover. Allow to stand for 10 minutes.

Just before serving, add the basil and fluff with a fork.

Yields: 4 servings

I'm actually roasting the pepper myself, along with some zucchini and red onion...I'll probably just toss a handful of all of it in there. It's really good. Adding some roasted veggies gives great flavor and moisture.
  • I looooove couscous. Yummy. I agree with Mandalinn, cook it with some kind of broth, rather than just plain water. I use Knorr's veggie cubes, but chicken broth works just as well.

I'll make a batch and while it's steaming I'll saute mushrooms, onions, garlic, carrots, etc. in my big cast iron skillet. Once the veggies are nearly done, I'll throw the couscous in on top and mix it all together. It's a great filling side dish.

• Great idea's, thanks ladies.
  • I usually buy flavored couscous with the veg pre added, never considered cooking it in stock though. Thanks for the tip ladies
  • I like using the Corn & Roasted Red Pepper soup from TJ's instead of water. It is SO SO GOOD!! I usually eat it with grilled/baked chicken.
  • I throw in some pesto chicken. I just throw in some olive oil, pre chopped chicken, cook that through in a pan, and then throw in some pesto sauce. Toss it with the cous cous.
  • I usually make my couscous plain since I normally put a flavorful stew/dish on top. I think of it in the same way as plain rice and plain pasta, it's a base.

The above suggestions do sound yummy. I may have to try them!
  • I love my couscous as a salad with lemon juice, olive oil, red onion, tomatoes, cucumbers, S&P and sometimes yellow peppers. To that occasionally I will add a bit of feta cheese, and once in a while garbanzo beans. Oh, and a little bit of fresh mint. I've really cut back on the olive oil, but can't seem to do with out just a little.

Nancy J.
  • I save the unsalted poaching liquid from mychicken breasts and use it to cook bulgur, couscous, rice etc.
  • Thanks for the tips ladies,
    However, couscous is just NOT for me. I've tried it all different ways, and no matter what I do, I still find it vulgar. Yucky!.
  • Quote: Thanks for the tips ladies,
    However, couscous is just NOT for me. I've tried it all different ways, and no matter what I do, I still find it vulgar. Yucky!.
    I find the trick with couscous is not to overcook it. There's a fine line between it being a light and fluffy grain and a stodgy mess.

Anyone tried Israeli couscous, its a larger grain and easier to get right.

Kitty