Moe's Southwest Grill

• We've started getting some of these around our area - they seem like they'd have some good choices, but the nutritional info on their site shows everything to have many, many calories.

Is anyone familiar with them, and know if their stuff is really that bad, or is the site just listing the worst choices since everything is made customized (your choice of meat, your choice of beans, guac, sour cream...)?
    Cindy
  • I have eaten at Moe's Southwest Grill. I wasn't on plan then so I may not have been looking at the healthiest of choices.

The burrito's at least are unbelievably huge. Lot's of rice, beans, some meat, and the cold stuff whatever you want. Optional cheese, guacamole etc.

They do have salads that are basically deconstructed burrito's.

I doubt there are a lot of good choices there but I could be wrong.
  • You can get some excellent choices at Moes. You just have to choose wisely. It's very similar to Chipotle - same concept.

When I go to Moes, I get a salad with black beans (no shell). You can add chicken, but I don't always. I save those calories for guac! Add all the different varieties of salsa, some grilled onion and peppers, no dressing. I like a tiny sprinkle of cheese and guac, but on the side, so I can control the quantity.

A salad made that way is about 450 cals .. which sounds like a lot, but is actually very filling and quite nutritious. I can have one for lunch and generally then find myself skipping my afternoon snack because I'm still full.

Just avoid the rice, tortillas, and chips.