Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 08-03-2008, 01:57 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 285/275.4/139

Height: 5'10

Default Store bought egg whites?

Are egg whites that you buy separately in the container okay? They're much easier to use, but I wasn't sure if there were any objections to their use. I don't like trying to separate the egg from the yolk because of bacteria concerns. What are your thoughts?
stacysreadytolose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 02:23 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 147/144/120

Height: 5'4

Quote:
Originally Posted by stacysreadytolose View Post
I don't like trying to separate the egg from the yolk because of bacteria concerns.
Do you mean you're worried that bacteria on the outside of the egg shell will come into contact with the egg during the process of separation?
betsysunqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 02:47 AM   #3  

Yes, I read in an article that by moving the yolk from one shell half to the other could be dangerous because of the contact with bacteria on the outside of the shell. Which is how, many moons ago I was taught. I have looked for an egg separater, but decided to go for the carton of egg whites. They taste fine, and the calories seem appropriate, but I just want to make sure they're "healthy."

Last edited by stacysreadytolose; 08-03-2008 at 03:05 AM.
Old 08-03-2008, 10:40 AM   #4  

If that were true, we'd all be dead. How do you think they get the egg whites at the store - they separate whites from yolks and some of those factories are a lot dirter than your kitchen. Unless you are eating them raw, there is no danger from using eggs that are separated at home.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 11:27 AM   #5  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by stacysreadytolose View Post
Yes, I read in an article that by moving the yolk from one shell half to the other could be dangerous because of the contact with bacteria on the outside of the shell. Which is how, many moons ago I was taught. I have looked for an egg separater, but decided to go for the carton of egg whites. They taste fine, and the calories seem appropriate, but I just want to make sure they're "healthy."
They're egg whites, so they're no healthier or unhealthier than egg whites from the shell

I love them and use them all the time.

And I agree with Quilter, there's no real danger in separating the egg whites yourself. I've done that for years, as well as just about everyone I know, and we're all still kicking. If you're cooking the whites once they're separated, you'll be fine.
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 09:51 PM   #6  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

Just use a slotted spoon to separate the egg whites. Hold the slotted spoon over a bowl, break the egg in half, and dump it into the spoon. The egg whites will flow the spoon into the bowl and the yolk will stay in the spoon. Nothing comes in contact with the shell and no special equipment is needed.

Also, if you are really worried about bacteria on the shell, you could just rinse the eggs with water. That's a highly effective way of removing bacteria (all these anti-bacterial products are a crock, completely unnecessary and harmful even).

I have found that you can't beat egg whites from the store into stiff peaks. I've tried several times, and it never works. I don't know why. Seems like they are just egg whites, so it should work. But I always end up with a soupy, slightly foamy mess and no stiff peaks. So if you are making something where you need to beat the egg whites to stiff peaks, you are best off using egg whites from the shell. For all other purposes, I think egg whites from the store are fine.
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 09:57 PM   #7  

Thanks everyone. I realize people had been doing the separation with the shell for a very long time, but with a small child at home bacteria concerns me more than when it was just me. I will try the slotted spoon for separation. I never even thought of that!! I do like the store bought egg whites for some things, so I will stick with them too. I realize they aren't any better than regular, but I wasn't sure if they added anything that I might not want in my diet. One of the ladies blogs I read gave a recipe for oopsie rolls, and they do require the stiff peaks. Thanks again for all the help!

Last edited by stacysreadytolose; 08-03-2008 at 09:57 PM.
Old 08-03-2008, 10:12 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 229/220/170

Height: 6'0'

I do the egg whites in a carton, because I don't like the taste of egg yolks. It makes for lower points when baking.
chickybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 03:58 PM   #9  
Claire Bears

S/C/G: 125/106/100

Height: 5'1

When I cook egg dishes I like to use the eggs in the carton just because its so easy and I don't find it makes a difference. However, if baking, recipes definitely comes out better when I use the real eggs. I like the slotted spoon method, or I've just grown up simply grabbing the yolk out of the bowl and then washing my hands thouroughly afterwards.
ClaireFitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 04:11 PM   #10  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

I've gotten egg whites in the carton to stiff peaks before...didn't seem unusually hard to me, actually. Maybe it depends on freshness?
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 07:24 PM   #11  

S/C/G: SW308/CW159/GW170

Height: 5'7"

Default Make your own "Egg Beaters"

Somewhere in one of my many cooking blogs there was a recipe for "egg beaters" Something like 9 egg yokes, little bit of water; you can keep it in the frig for up to a week. I'm not sure of the amounts and if they are whipped or not, but bet you can find the recipe on the internet somewhere. If I run across it I will post it. If someone has it, please post it.
nanj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 07:29 PM   #12  
ONEderland here I come!

S/C/G: 286/210/200 (next goal)

Height: 5'2.75"

i use them all the time one egg and a couple of glugs of white... it's faster and easier... of course my dogs are missing the extra yolks...

but a quick and easy way to separate the white from the yolk is use your hands... strain it through your fingers...
ladybugnessa is offline   Reply With Quote