Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 06-26-2008, 02:44 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 200/Ticker/135

Height: 5'5" / Low Carb WOE

Thumbs up I Finally Did It

After about 7 years of letting myself go (which is how I wound up at 200 lbs.), then turning it around on May 14th, 2008, the biggest change I've made has been drinking, at minimum, 64 oz. of water a day.

I'd been buying water bottles before I started on my WoE, because it was a rare thing I'd actually drink water.

After 6 weeks of this...I realized I was costing us way more money than I needed to. So..I went and bought a Brita filter. Been using it for 2 days now and I have to say, the water from it tastes just as good if not better than the purified bottled water I was buying.
snapless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 05:51 AM   #2  
Fay

S/C/G: 240/see ticker/140

Height: 5/3

Oh, well done!

I know I probably don't drink enough water - I mean, I DO chug water quite often during the day, but I doubt it's up to 1 1/2 litres. However, since reading your Idiot-Proof Diet, I've concluded that I really need to get more on top of this, and actually MAKE SURE it's enough water. India's explanation of why it's a good idea rather hit home.

And a massive THANKS for bringing the IPD to my attention! I always used to enjoy India Knight's columns in The Guardian etc when I was back home, and that book is just such a tonic to the usual diet book schpiel. Bless them both! It's pretty much the same thing I'm doing at the moment, but it's just so cheering to read about their experiences and their success. It's all so down-to-earth and kind and funny and encouraging - I'm already wildly nagging my girlfriend over in New York to go and buy herself a copy asap, because I think it will really help her feel positive and hopeful about the weightloss thing. So thanks, mate!

Last edited by broadabroad; 06-26-2008 at 05:53 AM.
broadabroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 06:26 AM   #3  

You're very welcome.

I keep saying I recommend it as a read to anyone struggling with weight - even if they don't choose to use the same diet plan.

Just the stories, blunt but sometimes funny information and useful tips apply to everyone!
Old 06-26-2008, 07:25 AM   #4  
Burning it away

Height: 5'2

I don't mind water...I used to drink LOADS of the stuff but I just can't seem to get myself back into the habit. I hardly drink anything anymore actually...any tips on how to keep it up?
Spoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 08:40 AM   #5  
Fay

S/C/G: 240/see ticker/140

Height: 5/3

Take a litre bottle to work, and make sure you've finished it by hometime? That's my new gameplan. I'm not doing a brilliant job, mind...
broadabroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 08:44 AM   #6  

The number one thing I did was get rid of all the junk in the house. In other words, no juice, no 'sports' drinks, no sodas. All I have here is:

- apple juice, which I don't like and my 5 yr old drinks occasionally
- tea packets to make individual cups of hot tea with on the occasions I drink tea
- coffee grinds for my morning coffee. I never drink more than 3 cups though.
- milk for my daughter's cereal because I still haven't converted her to something better...but that's coming
- water water and more water. Water jugs to make coffee with, water bottles to take with me to gym and out (I ALWAYS take a bottle, then if I'm thirsty I'm not tempted to buy a soda), and a brita pitcher now kept always filled with cold water in the fridge.

If I were working, I'd be carrying water to work with me to prevent temptations.

Also, the more I exercise, the more I -want- water. And I've been working out for an hour minimum, usually almost 2 hours a day.
Old 06-26-2008, 09:14 AM   #7  
The Radiant One

S/C/G: 250/142/135

Height: 5'2"

on drinking the water!
fiberlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 12:37 AM   #8  

Height: 5'5

I'm on week 4 of water only...I have to say after about 2 weeks, I decided to try a soda (diet, caffine free, etc) and you know what, it didn't even taste very good. I was shocked! Truthfully though I theing the reason I am drinking as much as I am is that it is crazy hot here!

Good luck on the water drinking, it is a huge change, this from someone who went likely whole days without drinking water to now I average about 100 oz a day!
thelish is offline   Reply With Quote