Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 06-10-2008, 11:14 PM   #16  
LLV

Veggie hot dogs.

FF mayo (definitely agree on that one)

Most FF salad dressings.

Sugar-free (made with splenda) pickles.

Low-carb tortillas (can't stand the texture).

Anything made with splenda, that stuff leaves a nasty aftertaste.
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 12:40 AM   #17  

Anything with a creamy texture reduced fat. Mayo, sour cream, yogurt, cheese, salad dressing. My husband and I actually got in a fight about how Miracle Whip Light does not taste the same as regular Miracle Whip (which does not taste like mayonaisse!). I can't do fat-free dairy anything, and plain egg whites are icky.
Chips made with Olestra are gross, they leave this nasty feeling like motor oil on your fingers, and an aftertaste like it too. Plus I tend to eat the whole bag and that warning on the bag about excessive consumption really is true.
I do like rice cakes, though. But not the unsalted plain (it really does taste like styrofoam!). And tofu is my secret love, so if you don't want it meowee...
NrsgStudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 01:08 PM   #18  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

My most disgusting diet foods are things I've made myself, usually desserts. I read that you could take brownie mix and substitute a can of pumpkin for all the oil and wet ingredients. I tried this and got a slab of solid, gummy brownie ick. I also had a recipe for low calorie chocolate cupcakes that came out equally awful. There have been a fair number of dessert disasters.

I also recently made a recipe for low calorie beef stroganoff that was a total disaster. It called for reduced fat yogurt and I knew the yogurt would have a tendency to curdle so I was careful to bring down the temperature before adding it but it still curdled. It was disgusting to look at and tasted pretty bad too. That's the last time I try a recipe printed on the bag my prescriptions come in.

I think the La Tortilla low carb wraps are pretty gruesome. I still eat them all the time because there aren't any other wraps with comparable calories/nutrition, at least not in my area. And I eat flax seed bread that is pretty disappointing as far as bread goes, but it's only 50 calories a slice with 4g of protein so I keep eating it.

And I've tried a lot of really bad fat free salad dressings.

Last edited by BlueToBlue; 06-12-2008 at 01:09 PM.
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 01:28 PM   #19  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

I don't know if you can classify it as a diet food, but... soy cheese. Gross. Just gross.
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 03:25 PM   #20  

S/C/G: 315/156/135

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueToBlue View Post
My most disgusting diet foods are things I've made myself, usually desserts. I read that you could take brownie mix and substitute a can of pumpkin for all the oil and wet ingredients. I tried this and got a slab of solid, gummy brownie ick. I also had a recipe for low calorie chocolate cupcakes that came out equally awful. There have been a fair number of dessert disasters.

I also recently made a recipe for low calorie beef stroganoff that was a total disaster. It called for reduced fat yogurt and I knew the yogurt would have a tendency to curdle so I was careful to bring down the temperature before adding it but it still curdled. It was disgusting to look at and tasted pretty bad too. That's the last time I try a recipe printed on the bag my prescriptions come in.
I bat 500 with making things that are low fat or "healthy". It seems that every other time I do it I get something wonderful and every other time I get garbage. I recently made a chicken stroganoff that was horrible.
Mom2QJandT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 04:21 PM   #21  
LLV

Quote:

I think the La Tortilla low carb wraps are pretty gruesome.
Tam-X-Ico brand is much better than La Tortilla. I tried to like the La Tortilla ones and just couldn't do it. The texture is horrible, it's like biting down into a tasteless sponge. But Tam-X-Ico brand aren't too bad. Still not GREAT, but they're tolerable. They also make a whole grain tortilla that's rather tasty. I think it's just the low carb ones that are completely awful. But, like you, I still eat them on occasion; not because I pay attention to carbs (I've never counted carbs) but because they're low in calorie.
Old 06-12-2008, 06:00 PM   #22  
*Courtney Rae*

S/C/G: 245/217/160

Height: 5'5

Quote:
Originally Posted by grneyedmustang View Post
Kraft Fat Free Cheddar Cheese. Tastes like eraser shreds.
Pretty sure that was the funniest thing i have heard all day. I really did LoL... good thing i am at work by myself or everyone might think im crazy. I agree with tofu... it feels like raw scrambeled eggs in my mouth. I like a lot of protein bars and such but Luna Bar "Strawberry and Creme" Breakfast bar. not so much. I would rather lick the bottom of my shoe than take a bit of that again
CandyKisses0204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 06:50 PM   #23  
One pound at a time!

S/C/G: 264/239/199

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
My most disgusting diet foods are things I've made myself, usually desserts.
brownie mix ... slab of solid, gummy brownie ick
chocolate cupcakes ... equally awful
beef stroganoff ... disgusting to look at and tasted pretty bad too
That's the last time I try a recipe printed on the bag my prescriptions come in.

Last edited by bethbeth; 06-12-2008 at 06:51 PM.
bethbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 06:57 PM   #24  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Fat free cream cheese is awful.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 08:57 PM   #25  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLV View Post
Tam-X-Ico brand is much better than La Tortilla. I tried to like the La Tortilla ones and just couldn't do it. The texture is horrible, it's like biting down into a tasteless sponge. But Tam-X-Ico brand aren't too bad. Still not GREAT, but they're tolerable. They also make a whole grain tortilla that's rather tasty. I think it's just the low carb ones that are completely awful. But, like you, I still eat them on occasion; not because I pay attention to carbs (I've never counted carbs) but because they're low in calorie.
Unfortunately, La Tortilla is literally the only brand sold at any of the grocery stores in my area (Safeway, Lucky, Raley's, Trader Joe's--I've tried them all). No Tam-X-Ico, no Flat Out Wraps, none of the brands that I've heard are better. So I'll be continuing to eat my cardboard-like La Tortilla wraps. So long as I put stuff in them that tastes good, I can deal with them. I think they're growing on me. If you eat anything long enough, you can get used to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2QJandT View Post
I bat 500 with making things that are low fat or "healthy". It seems that every other time I do it I get something wonderful and every other time I get garbage. I recently made a chicken stroganoff that was horrible.
What's really shocking is how many times I will try something before I give up on it. That beef stroganoff recipe made enough for two nights and we ate the leftovers the second night because I was convinced I could somehow salvage them. both nights. We shouldn't have even eaten it the first night! The brownie thing--tried that like five times, varying the recipe slightly each time. Amazingly, after the fifth try, they did come out with a brownie-like consistency. They weren't the best brownies I ever had but you could call them brownies. I think I still have half a mix left (at least I don't do a full recipe with all these experiments), so there may be a sixth try in the future. My SO is remarkably tolerant about all this (but he was pretty relieved when I told him we didn't have to eat all the disgusting chocolate cupcake things).

Quote:
Originally Posted by bargoo View Post
Fat free cream cheese is awful.
Well, that just goes to show that there's no accounting for taste. I love FF cream cheese. It's a staple in my diet. I use it in place of butter, cheese, and mayo all the time (on bread and muffins, on baked potatoes, in omelets, in chicken salad, on sandwiches, stirred into hot cereal, stirred into polenta and grits). If I could cook with it, I would. I also once did a side-by-side taste test of TJ's FF and reduced fat Greek yogurt and could not tell the difference. I love FF cottage cheese too.

But I agree that FF hard cheese (cheddar, etc.) doesn't compare to the real thing or even to reduced fat hard cheese.
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 09:00 AM   #26  
Observer of Phenomena

Height: 5' 4"

What amazes me is how many "diet" foods have become acceptable to me as I've reduced my daily calories over time. In the past I would never have gone near Better n' Peanut Butter, Laughing Cow cheese, FF cottage cheese (as opposed to low fat), lo cal bread, etc. - too weird, too processed, whatever - I'll just figure out how to fit the real deal in every once in a while, right?

As those 'once in a whiles' became less and less frequent, I decided that a far inferior substitute may be okay. For the time being.

Don't tell my foodie friends!
3Beans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 09:11 AM   #27  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I bought Better N Peanut butter and thought it was the most disgusting thing ever. I don't understand why someone would choose that over natural peanut butter. Sure you save a few calories but you sacrifice taste and good for you fats.

I also would agree that fat free dairy (except yogurt) is disgusting. Cheese, cottage cheese, cream cheese, etc. Now that I don't eat dairy, its not a concern but I didn't eat a lot of cheese anyway because of the high calorie/fat.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 09:20 AM   #28  

S/C/G: 285/ticker/140

Height: 5'7"

In general I won't touch fat-free cheeses or anything with artificial sugar. I figure the human species evolved on real food items--preferably whole food items--and not anything designed in a laboratory. It just cannot be good for you, in the long run, to eat foods that have been so severely chemically altered.
Darkblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 11:02 AM   #29  

S/C/G: 131/100/70 kg

Height: 167 cm

There is one FAT FREE food I hate a LOT in the UK! Fat-free yogurt. Cypriot fat-free yogurt is sour like its fatty brother. Here it is awful. And before you advise me to go towards the FAGE one, I tasted it and I wanted to weep.

So I stopped eating yogurt here.
preetyladyserenity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 02:14 PM   #30  
LLV

Quote:
Unfortunately, La Tortilla is literally the only brand sold at any of the grocery stores in my area (Safeway, Lucky, Raley's, Trader Joe's--I've tried them all). No Tam-X-Ico, no Flat Out Wraps, none of the brands that I've heard are better. So I'll be continuing to eat my cardboard-like La Tortilla wraps. So long as I put stuff in them that tastes good, I can deal with them. I think they're growing on me. If you eat anything long enough, you can get used to it.
Oh gawd, those Flat Out wraps are even worse than the lowcarb tortillas!