Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 05-19-2008, 02:30 AM   #16  
Losing it by being active

S/C/G: 230/222/170

Height: 5'8"

hi =)
I eat cottage cheese on a wasa whole grain cracker (or any cracker whole grain) and put some slices of tomato! It tastes pretty decent!!
if you want to eat it like yogurt I suggest raisins, hemps seeds etc
good luck!
yobi new mom 2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 09:01 PM   #17  
Choosing with every bite.

S/C/G: 212.5/182/155

Height: 5' 7"

I love cottage cheese cold. If it has sat out for 20 minutes and gotten warmer, I like it, but I don't love it. Temperature is definitely a factor. I agree with Fat Free being inedible. I've been eating 2% and it's a world of difference better than FF.

Give cottage cheese a new trial, with temperature and some fat in it - perhaps with one of the add ins above. If you still don't care for it, consider switching to something on BluetoBlue's list above.

Last edited by WebRover; 05-19-2008 at 09:03 PM.
WebRover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 09:15 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

I def won't eat ff cottage cheese. 2% is pretty darned good and 4% is ... mmmmmmm!

But really if you don't like it, I'd eat something else. As someone above said ... life is too short.

Have some oatmeal, some yogurt, edamame, salmon or tuna, a protein shake made with silken tofu ... there are dozens of options other than cottage cheese.

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 02:42 PM   #19  
Vates

S/C/G: 268/243/150

Height: 5"6

i like it with a little cayenne pepper, parsley, chives, salt and black pepper
Vates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 02:52 PM   #20  
Starting Fresh

Height: 5'2"

I just want to say that I like cottage cheese, its not my fav but I buy it once and a while.... But I HATE it with fruit, OMG made me gag and almost puke. I would say if you are iffy on cottage cheese already dont mix it with something sweet, to me it just tasted way wrong. The only way I can seem to eat it is with some salt and pepper, but i agree there are way tastier things to eat if you dont like it dont eat it.
sotypical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 06:33 PM   #21  

S/C/G: 190/155/135

Height: 5'3"

When I was a kid I loved CC... then when I was about 10 I had Strep Throat, but didn't know it.. and threw up.. It was a bunch of CC.. for YEARS!! I could not eat CC without gagging.. but lately I've been able to eat it. I still don't eat a huge serving or anything.. but its okay.. I also enjoy adding cinnamon and some type of sweetener to it..
And I grab at least 1%... I REFUSE to eat FF dairy products...except maybe yogurt.. but yogurt is sooo much better with a little bit of fat too..
And I agree that your diet looks starved of veggies and fruit...those are a necessity to us also.. you're missing out on valuable nutrients!!!
tdiprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 10:58 PM   #22  
Just keep breathing!

S/C/G: 191.7/191.7/145

Height: 5'5

I have a HUGE thing of cottage cheese sitting in my fridge, and no idea what to do with it - but I don't want to let it go to waste.

I'm not really a huge fan of it, because I can't wrap my head around the consistency enough to try eating it honestly. We don't have a blender yet - but are there any other recipes that might help one get over a cottage cheese fear?
GradPhase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 09:25 AM   #23  
The Radiant One

S/C/G: 250/142/135

Height: 5'2"

I was afraid to try cottage cheese, isn't that funny? And I love all types of cheese. I got some with the pineapple in it, and it's okay. Reminds me of cheese curds. Not sure how much I would go out of my way to eat it again, but it was good to finally try it. My DH really likes it plain.

My mother used to put it on bread, sprinkle cinnamon on it and put it in the toaster oven for a bit.
fiberlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 11:11 AM   #24  
Just keep breathing!

S/C/G: 191.7/191.7/145

Height: 5'5

Ohhh, fiberlover, I think I'll try that for breakfast this morning!
GradPhase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 12:30 PM   #25  

I absolutely love cc. I buy Dean's 1% as it has the same number of calories as the FF one, but tastes SO much better. I eat it daily and mix in a variety of things depending on the "flavor" I'm craving:
-splenda, sliced banana, cinnamon, and sliced almonds
-chopped and heated apple with cinnamon and sliced almonds
-pineapple
-mandarin oranges
-strawberries
-smashed frozen blueberries
-peaches

They also sell individual prepackaged cc with different toppings: raspberry, peaches, and strawberries, I think. It's about 140 calories for one serving.

As for the question regarding the importance of protein...I try to get approx 30-35% from protein because I find I have way more energy. I eat 2 scrambled egg whites first thing in the morning and then take hard boiled eggs with me to work and snack on the whites throughout the day. At night, I either make an egg white omlette or I eat a Boca Soy burger (or both)!
Onsecondthought is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 10:38 PM   #26  
Lovin' Life

S/C/G: 300/too much/155

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANOther View Post
Fat-free cc = wallpaper paste
I used to think this way too

But then I found this website, http://www.stumptuous.com/cms/displayarticle.php?aid=23 (the cottage cheese page) some awesome cottage cheese recipes here.

My favourite is...
1 serving cottage cheese
1 tbsp natural peanut butter
2 tbsp cocoa
splenda to taste
1/2 tsp vanilla
blend until smooth.....and enjoy!!

You know....vanilla added to cottage cheese helps it considerably in the flavour dept.
RobinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 11:03 PM   #27  
Excited!

S/C/G: 260/See Ticker!/150

Height: 5'2''

Not sure if this sounds crazy or not, but I buy instant grits. Only 100 calories and not much fat at all per pack. I mix 1 pack with 1/2 cup of cottage cheese. I've eaten this since I was a kid for breakfast...
onic28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 02:23 AM   #28  
Choosing with every bite.

S/C/G: 212.5/182/155

Height: 5' 7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by onic28 View Post
Not sure if this sounds crazy or not, but I buy instant grits. Only 100 calories and not much fat at all per pack. I mix 1 pack with 1/2 cup of cottage cheese. I've eaten this since I was a kid for breakfast...
Do you add the hot water to the instant grits first or just mix the dry grits with the cottage cheese?
WebRover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 09:05 AM   #29  
Excited!

S/C/G: 260/See Ticker!/150

Height: 5'2''

Sorry I wasn't very specific! I mix it with hot water first. Actually, I mix 1 pack of grits with some tap water and the microwave it. After it's done to the consistency I like (I like it thicker) I just add about half a cup of cottage cheese. And I don't like eating FF cottage cheese plain, but it's not bad at all when you mix it with the grits. I usually use 2% though. This is also a good thing to double since the grits are pre-measured per pack. When I make this for two people I just use two packs, extra water and a full cup of Cottage Cheese (or more or less depending on how you like it). I'm eating this with turkey bacon this morning. Excellent
onic28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 10:27 AM   #30  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

Ok, I gotta try the grits and cc thing. I love both and I keep a box of grits in my desk at the office.

Hmmmm. That sounds really good. Tomorrow. I've already eaten my yogurt and fruit this morning!

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote