Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 05-07-2008, 02:04 PM   #16  
Isabella

S/C/G: 180/154.5/125

Height: 5 feet 2 inches

The rhubarb really kicks up the blueberry jam. I love it with strawberries, too and had never thought of pairing it up with blueberries until I had some blueberries and stewed rhubarb left over and didn't have enough of either to use in a fruit crisp I wanted to make. So I just dumped them in together and just loved the combination. And that's no yolk!

Last edited by retiredone; 05-07-2008 at 02:04 PM.
retiredone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 02:11 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5'2"

Hee!

I think this might be Rhubarb season.

I have just been reading about growing sprouts. I checked with our local health food place and they have seeds in small quantities. Probably astronomically expensive, but I just want to try it. If I love the sprouts and want to go to the trouble, I can find a cheaper source.
gailr42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 11:48 AM   #18  

I have my seeds and my quart jar. Will start the sprout project soon! The seeds were pretty expensive at my local health food store. If I decide I really want to do this, I will have to find a better source of seeds.
Old 05-08-2008, 12:54 PM   #19  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I bought my seeds online at sproutpeople.com.

Also I started simple with things already in my pantry like lentils and garbanzo beans. Bean sprouts tend to be small but are nice additions to salads.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 01:26 PM   #20  
Isabella

S/C/G: 180/154.5/125

Height: 5 feet 2 inches

I sprouted seeds years ago. Maybe I should try it again. Got to think about this some. Hmmmmm. Yes, I think I'll do it sometime soon. I've got loads of garbanzo beans that I could sprout.
retiredone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 01:45 PM   #21  

I purchased a seed mix. It has mung beans, clover, alfalfa, and radish. The sprouts I buy at the store are the same, but no mung beans. I want the sprouts for salads, but I have heard of "sprouted wheat" bread. Maybe....if the salad sprouts work, I will branch out.
Old 05-09-2008, 02:35 PM   #22  
Working My Way Back Down

Gosh, I forgot a lot of things that I do at home....

We make sprouts - usually alfalfa - all winter. Lettuce just gets tooo expensive here.

Gail - we used to have chickens, and I agree, the eggs are great! I always eat the yolks.

Oh and I often make my own salad dressing. Once you start, you'll notice that the commercial dressings are really salty (never mind being expensive).

As for rhubarb, it's great suff. I make a rhubarb onion relish that's awesome. My DH eats rhubarb all the time. I like it but you do have to add a fair amount of sugar so I limit how much I eat. I always put cinnamon in when I make a compote or pie or actually anything where there isn't another fruit involved.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 03:15 PM   #23  

S/C/G: 218/175/155

I make my own:

~yogurt
~yeast bread (regular, pita, rolls, etc.)
~tortillas (ww and corn)
~almost all other baked goods (cakes, pies, cookies, biscuits, muffins, etc.)
~kim chee
~sauerkraut
~jams
~pickles (just pickled some asparagus because it was 1.19 a lb)
~relish
~salad dressings
~hummus
~pesto
~stocks and broths (I save all bones and veggie bits to do this)
~granola bars
~sprouts

I work as well, but I love being in the kitchen so it doesn't seem like drudgery to me.
zenor77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 07:54 PM   #24  

I make salad dressing, hummus, pesto and chicken broth, too. I agree that purchased salad dressings seem very salty, but I have some favorites from Trader Joe's. I would make more salad dressing if it kept better. I don't always want to make it every day.

My sprouts are underway, although they aren't doing anything yet. I had to swipe a glass canning jar from one of the chickens' water dishes.
Old 05-12-2008, 03:59 PM   #25  

Wow, you ought to see my sprouts! As I write, I am eating my salad with sprouts. They were very easy. At the end of the process, I set them outside. It only took maybe half an hour and they started to get a little green. I think I left them out about 2.5 hours total just to get them a little more green. The directions said that greening them increases the Vitamin content. So much fun!

I also made yogurt this weekend.
Old 05-12-2008, 04:19 PM   #26  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Oh I totally forgot about hummus. Home made is the best. Also, I've been collecting veggie scraps and I plan to make my own veggie broth sometime soon. Possibly when I decide to make a soup.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 11:50 PM   #27  
Captain Obvious

Height: 5'8

I am having my adventures in sprouting as well! I think I am one day away from having lovely sprouted mung beans. I used a colander and about 1 cup of beans. Little did I know that was waaaaay too much. Now my colander overfloweth with sprouts, but they're kind of shorter than I wanted, so I split it in two colanders =P I am putting a weight on one to see if it really makes a difference in the girth of the sprout like I've been reading.
gastronome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 12:18 AM   #28  

It is pretty amazing how fast they grow and how much space they take up. The mung beans in my mix were almost as big as the ones I buy in the store for making stir fry. A cup of seeds - yikes. You are gonna have a houseful of 'em. I started my second batch today.
Old 05-17-2008, 08:48 AM   #29  
Ija
Extra gluten

S/C/G: 286/135/135

how do you make hummus?
Ija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 09:47 AM   #30  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Homemade mozzarella and ricotta cheeses. I want to branch out into other cheeses, too, but haven't had the time or skills quite ready.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote