Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 04-21-2008, 04:50 PM   #1  
Free-thinker

Height: 5'9"

Default Bread Question

I'm confused about enriched bread. I've been reading it's bad for you, but the local co-op sells it. And they said they don't sell anything that's been chemically processed. This was wheat bread that said enriched. Not bleached, just enriched. Is it still bad?
BlessedBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 06:08 PM   #2  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

If the bread had been made with Whole Grains, it wouldn't need to be enriched. When grain is processed to make regular white bread it is stripped of everything except the starch and then it is pulverized to as small a flour particle as possible. They then stick a few artificial vitamins and minerals back in so they can tell us it's okay.

Take a look at what the ingredient list says . . . if the first word is not "whole" (as in "whole wheat flour" and preferably "stone-ground whole wheat flour") leave it on the shelf.

Unbleached is definitely better than bleached -- but not by much.

Last edited by meowee; 04-21-2008 at 06:09 PM.
meowee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 06:28 PM   #3  
Free-thinker

Height: 5'9"

So what does is mean for enriched whole wheat? I think that's what this one bread said. They also had an organic white bread, though how I don't know. Since they said they don't sell anything that has been chemically processed. @_@ Confusing...
BlessedBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 06:53 PM   #4  
Working My Way Back Down

Organic just means that the wheat was grown organically - nothing about what happened to it later.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote