I need a GOOD source of PROTEIN...can you help?

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • I am looking for a very good source of protein. I am thinking a mix or shake type that I can have in the morning would be best for me. I dont eat a ton of meat or eggs so I know I am not getting enough protein in my diet. I am supposed to avoid SOY since I have thyroid issues...so I would probably need something that isnt SOY based. Any ideas? I like the idea of having it in the morning and just replacing my breakfast with it.
  • How about yogurt? It's funny I'm sitting here eating yogurt and granola as I'm reading posts.
    Some mornings I have frozen berries, yogurt, and a splash of milk. Super easy smoothies. Very filling. I wouldn't ever buy a mix or powder I'd have to add to my little smoothie ritual, but some people put in flax or other protein supplements.
  • I have been looking for additional sources of protein as well. I have been eating Fat Free Ricotta Cheese instead of yogurt. It has a greater amount of protein 18 grams (much less carbs). Also Kashi Go Lean Crunch has 9 grams of protein per cup. Tuna and Cheese are also good sources of protein.

Good Luck.
  • A good source of protein that's not meat, eggs or soy? That's a tough call! They do make whey protein powder, which can be mixed into a shake. The version I use is zero carb isopure--and it has 25g protein per scoop (also 105 cal per scoop), and comes in several different flavors. They don't taste fantastic, but they're edible.
  • Azure, I will check that out, that is kinda what I may be looking for, being that I think I am getting less than 1/2 the protein I should be getting and I think that is 75% of the weight issue that I have. I think if I can start the day with a HIGH protein meal/shake then I wont be as hungry later in the day...even if I had something like this at lunch that may be even better for me since I get the bad afternoon hungries plus I am never eating protein at lunch because I dont have time or something that is very easy to make. Thanks!
  • I second the protein shakes. The one my boyfriend and I buy - which you can get at walmart - is actually fairly tasty. I wouldn't say it's fantastic - but it DOES taste decent. 1 scoop is 100 calories - 3 g carbs and 26 g protein. it comes in chocolate or vanilla. and of course, for the life of me, i can't remember the name of it...but i know on the front it'll say "52g protein" - which is for 2 scoops, of course...it's in the HBA department where the "diet" foods are.
  • Greek yogurt is an awesome protein source...2/3 a cup is 80 calories and like 14 grams of protein.
  • Thanks, I just ordered some "egg protein" since it is supposedly easier to digest. I am supposed to avoid soy and the whey protein is (i think) a little too much dairy for me, so I will try this, it was fairly cheap I think...time will tell if I like it. I plan to mix it with fruit or yogurt to get a little boost since I will use it at noon I think. I will give it a couple weeks to try and see what happens.

Madalinn- I will look for some greek yogurt next time I am in the city....what section is it in? the "natural foods" or usually just with all the other yogurt?
  • With the regular yogurt. I like Fage brand (the others I've tried don't taste as good and creamy), 0% fat.

I put berries with it, and a little splenda...mmm. It's soooooo decadent tasting.
  • What about beans too? Sounds weird, but I love I to eat beans in the morning sweetened with a little bit of honey or brown sugar. Yellow split peas or red beans taste the best sweetened and they are high in protein and fiber to get your day going. I just make a huge pot on the weekend, portion it out and stored in the freezer. I'd eat it just like you would oatmeal in the morning.
  • Gastro, I will keep the beans in mind, thanks!

Mandalinn-I will keep my eye open for the Fage. I looked it up online and dont think they sell it within 200 miles of my home, but I will check next time I am in the city!
  • Here are some of my favorite sources of protein that aren't meat, soy, or eggs:
    • cottage cheese (14g protein per serving)
    • yogurt (20g protein per serving)
    • oatmeal or oat bran (5g to 7g protein per serving)
    • 50-calorie La Tortilla Factory wrap (check the ingredients to make sure there's no soy in them) with laughing cow cheese (7.5g protein)
    • kippered herring or sardines (ok, technically a meat, but totally different than chicken or beef so maybe you would like it) (16g protein per serving)
    • Yogurt Vegetable Salad: 1/4 cup nonfat yogurt, 1 tsp dijon mustard, 1/4 cup garbanzo beans, 2.5 oz diced cucumber, 1.5 oz halved cherry tomatoes (or diced roasted red peppers if tomatoes aren't available), 1 tbsp minced fresh mint or basil, sea salt and pepper (or lemon pepper). This is one serving and it comes in at about 80 calories and 9g of protein.
    • refried beans (7g protein per serving). Eat it on a Tortilla Factory low carb wrap and you've got another 5g of protein. Add a laughing cow cheese wedge to the wrap and you have a total of 14.5 g of protein for less than 200 calories.
  • I just posted a new thread on what I did...check it out!
    Also, funny thing Gastro, last night a friend gave me a "beans" cookbook...she didnt even know I was looking for something like that...lol
  • Mandalinn, I found some Greek Yogurt at walmart last night. It is definitely different but not bad, just will take a little to get used to. It is about the consistency of sour cream, but taste better.lol I got a plain kind that has 22 grams protein, and I grabbed 2 fruit flavored ones but they only have 13 grams..so I think I will use the plain in my protein smoothie, that will give me like 60 grams of protein per smoothie. It will be like 350 calories, but since I will be replacing lunch with it, that will be OK.
  • Honestly, it really depends on your individual needs but is there a reason you don't think you get enough protein? You don't have to eat meat, dairy or eggs to get plenty of protein.

Beans/legumes are a great source of protein
    Vegetables all have some level of protein, especially green leafy ones
    Bananas have protein
    Whole grains have protein (some like quinoa are a complete protein)

As for protein powders, I use hemp or hemp protein powder mixes. They are a good source of EFAs as well as protein.