3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Food Talk And Fabulous Finds (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/food-talk-fabulous-finds-17/)
-   -   FitDay... OMG I can't find baked chicken breast (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/food-talk-fabulous-finds/137529-fitday-omg-i-cant-find-baked-chicken-breast.html)

Sweetcaroline 03-19-2008 05:04 PM

FitDay... OMG I can't find baked chicken breast

Hi, FitDay looks like something I would love to use, but the first thing I 'searched' for was baked skinless chicken breast and can't find it... it seems that every other chicken prep imaginable is listed, I've spent considerable time looking for this one item.. help... anyone hints ??

srmb60 03-19-2008 05:09 PM

broiled, roasted, raw .... as long as you can get the measure right and there's nothing added ....

BlueToBlue 03-19-2008 05:20 PM

I always figure out the calories for my chicken breast when it is raw. I think it's more accurate that way. The chicken will weigh less after it is cooked, but the amount that the weight is reduced varies based on how long you cooked the chicken for and what temperature you cook it at. Cooking it longer will cause more water to cook out of it. So it's hard to know if your 3 oz of cooked chicken breast is the same amount of meat and calories as someone else's 3 oz of cooked chicken breast. But 4 oz of raw chicken breast (which usually ends up being 2 to 3 oz cooked) is the same no matter who is doing the weighing (unless the manufacturer has injected water into it, in which case, go with the calories indicated on the packaging, not on Fitday).

So, if I'm eating chicken breast, I weigh it while it is raw and log the calories for however many oz of raw chicken I have. Then I don't bother to weigh it again after I've cooked it. Some of the water cooks out but all the calories are still there. ;)

gailr42 03-19-2008 05:22 PM

But...but...but, Susan, fitday's calories don't make sense. And, as Sweetcaroline mentions, they don't include just simple baked or broiled or poached chicken breast - the mainstay of every diet in the world :lol:. Maybe they call it by some other name, but I have also been unable to use their suggestions. My solution was to find out by some other method how many calories and enter it as a custom food.

zenor77 03-19-2008 05:33 PM

Try chicken breast, with or without bone, broiled skin not eaten. Sometimes in fitday I can't find a specific food if I type the decription in the search field, but if I go look under the food group (like poultry) I find it. There is a drop down menu with different food groupings (bread, poultry, fish, dairy, etc.)

I swear the programers of fitday are from a different country given how they phrase things.

srmb60 03-19-2008 05:34 PM

Mine looks like I chose something and then just customized it by altering the name a little. That doesn't help much for someone who's looking for it, now does it?

I'm not sure why ?? ounces raw yield after cooking isn't OK or cooked diced.

walking2lose 03-19-2008 05:40 PM

But they have chicken feet... :p

One of the main reasons I switched to daily plate. I did fitday for a year, but 90 percent were items I custom entered... good luck

srmb60 03-19-2008 05:41 PM

Typing something into the search field is just painful

There is no pop corn nor sweet potato .....the search is very very picky.

zenor77 03-19-2008 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SusanB (Post 2107962)
There is no pop corn nor sweet potato .....the search is very very picky.

Yeah, this always bugged me. They have yam, but not sweet potato. This drives me crazy considering what most people call a yam technically isn't, it's a sweet potato!

mandalinn82 03-19-2008 06:02 PM

They DO have sweet potato, but it is inexplicably one word (sweetpotato, raw)

srmb60 03-19-2008 06:03 PM

And the same with popcorn ... all one word.

Sweetcaroline 03-19-2008 06:32 PM

Thank you for all the assist... I'm going to give it one more shot... with a site name like Fit Day, i thought it would be easier to find 'fit' foods... looks like a lot of food is listed as; breaded, fried, dipped, my searching was making me hungry...

srmb60 03-19-2008 06:43 PM

I have noticed that. If you type in ... apple or cherry ... you get processed crap first!

I suppose we could write them. Is there a place for comments or suggestions?

BlueToBlue 03-19-2008 08:56 PM

It could be worse. The online diary I use is totally worthless when it comes to pre-programmed foods. I think they only have about five pre-programmed foods that I can use (they have a lot of pre-programmed foods but they either aren't accurate, aren't in quantities that I eat, or aren't foods that I eat). Everything else has to be set up as a custom food. If I eat an apple, I have to set up a custom food for it (well, by now I already have one set up for apples). It also doesn't have the nice reports that Fitday has. The only think keeping me from switching to Fitday is that I do a ton of cooking and I have I think around 1,000 recipes set up as custom foods and I don't want to have set them all up again somewhere else.

Shy Moment 03-19-2008 09:12 PM

There are many things that fit day doesn't show directly. You are much better off to know how much is in the chicken breasts you are eating ( all chicken breasts are not created equally ) and then add to those amounts what you use to make your baked chicken breasts.