Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 03-13-2008, 03:58 PM   #16  
back to balance

Height: 5'7"

Just about the only way I really *love* to eat cottage cheese is with tomatoes, basil, salt/pepper and balsamic vinegar/olive oil - a yummy alternative to insalata caprese for those days when I can't fit buffalo mozzarella into either my calorie or financial budget .
Heffalump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 04:24 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 233/181/160

Height: 5'9"

Cottage is my favorite of the cheeses. A salad isn't a salad without a side of cottage cheese.
CrazedLedZepFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 05:05 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 140/120/118

Height: 5'3

Ok, this a great way to enjoy cottage cheese!

Bake or nuke a potato (any kind you like)
Cut the potato in half
Mash it up a little with a work
add what ever seasoning you love...I like onion soup mix or garlic salt, pepper and italian seasoning and some sun-dried tomatoes
add a layer of 2% cottage cheese (evenly spread)
top off with grated parmasean cheese
broil until the cheese gets bubbly

It is so good! The cheese actually melts and gets stringy like "real cheese"

It is an awesome dieters dream lunch or dinner!!
azmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 06:31 PM   #19  
I'm a Loser ;)

S/C/G: SCG: 255/see ticker/160

I'm a bit old fashioned with Cottage cheese, I like just a little bit of salt and pepper in it. I've never liked the fruit mixes only because cheese doesn't seem like cheese unless it's savoury. My kids love the cottage cheese and pineapple or peach mixes.

Lucerne Fat free cottage cheese is pretty good. I'll either eat fat free or 1%

Last edited by tamaralynn; 03-13-2008 at 06:32 PM.
tamaralynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 06:45 PM   #20  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

Life's too short to eat foods you don't like. There's nothing special about cottage cheese that you can't get from other food sources. If you don't like cottage cheese, why force yourself to eat it? There are so many other healthy food choices. I'm not every sure it's that great for you. It's actually a little high in calories as compared to other dairy products (80 calories per half cup of nonfat cottage cheese vs. 100 calories per cup of nonfat yogurt or skim milk. Sure it has protein and calcium, but there are lots of other sources for both nutrients.

I can only eat a limited amount of food per day so I want to make sure I enjoy everything I'm eating as much as possible. I'm a fan of cottage cheese, but if I didn't like it, I wouldn't eat it.

Meg, that Butterfingers Cottage Cheese recipe sounds awesome!
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 08:14 PM   #21  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

My issue with cottage cheese is the lumpy texture - if I feel like it, I whip the lumps out with my immersion blender. I don't force myself to eat foods I don't like though - so I don't do it very often. When I whip the lumps out, it makes a good base for dips. I also like it with pineapple.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 08:52 PM   #22  
Captain Obvious

Height: 5'8

I love cottage cheese. I can eat a 1lb tub in one sitting. =/ A very tasty way of having cottage cheese is to make a cottage cheese cake. Google will get you a ton of good recipes. You just blend everything up in a blender of food processor so that it's very smooth and it ends up tasting like cheesecake. If you use eggbeaters and artificial sweetener it can be super low calorie AND very tasty even to those who hate cottage cheese. I made this just a couple weeks ago and served it to my family and they thought it was really good. None of them believed me when I told them it was cottage cheese cake. You should try it. Great way of eating the stuff. =)
gastronome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 10:47 PM   #23  
Beach Bum

Height: 5' 7"

Cottage Cheese is good as a side dish to eggs, especially scrambled eggs. I like it with tomatoes cut up in it with lots of black pepper. The best tasting cottage cheese EVER is "Michigan Brand" full fat cottage cheese. It is good that I live in Northern Virginia and can not get it here!!! It is the treat that my Grandma and Dad bring to me when they come down to VA. I always take a couple tubs home when we drive up and back. It is a very small curd, dry cottage cheese. YUMMO!!!

BUT...as others have said, CC isn't THAT healthy, so don't eat it if you don't like it!

Last edited by SkinnyDogMom; 03-13-2008 at 10:48 PM.
SkinnyDogMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 09:46 AM   #24  

I'll echo the ladies saying why eat it if you hate it? You can get good protein elsewhere and actually use your cals on foods you enjoy.

I'll dump some cottage cheese into a smoothie with fruit and blend it in... The lumps go away and it adds some protein. Otherwise I like it with tomato and basil on crackers... Or just plain
suitejudyblueeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 03:28 PM   #25  

S/C/G: Jan. 2008-173/ticker/135

Height: 5'5''

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I will try them and see what I think.

WOW Meg, those recipes sound amazingly good!! My husband may even like these. I can't wait to try the butterfinger one. YUMMY!

I agree with not eating something you don't like (you won't see me eating brussell sprouts no matter how good they are for you ). But the reason I am looking to eat cottage cheese is for a breakfast alternative for protein. I eat one egg and egg white scrambled with 1/2 cup of grits or oatmeal with a boiled egg in the mornings. I am afraid that its too many eggs - one everyday - so I am looking for alternatives and I know cottage cheese has protein in it. I really need the protein in the morning or I just feel lousy especially if I plan on working out later on in the morning. So I figured if I could make it taste better then maybe I could eat it. It's possible that I could "dress it up" and still hate it but at least I gave it a chance.
skinny4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 03:33 PM   #26  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Unless you have been advised otherwise by a doctor, 1 egg a day is just fine. I typically eat 3 whole eggs a day, and my cholesterol is fine. The poor egg got a bad rep, but it's really not that bad for you!

If you're looking for other protein breakfast alternatives, how about a protein smoothie? whole grain toast with natural peanut butter? yogurt? oatmeal made with milk instead of water with some chopped nuts mixed in? turkey sausage? I'm sure others will have more suggestions as well. Oh, and don't think you have to have "breakfast foods" for breakfast, either--no one says you can't have some chicken, ham, turkey, dinner leftovers, whatever floats your boat
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 05:15 PM   #27  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

If you like yogurt, plain non-fat yogurt has more protein for just about the same calories as non-fat cottage cheese. Same goes for reduced fat yogurt vs. reduced fat cottage cheese. If you don't like your yogurt plain, you could add fruit to it. I sometimes stir sugar-free syrup into my plain yogurt.

Try stirring peanut butter into your oatmeal instead of eating it with an egg. I sometimes stir 1 tbsp SnacLite PowerPB into my oatmeal. I has 1.5 times the protein of regular PB and makes for a super protein-packed meal (5g in the oatmeal and 6g in the PB). Or stir some flax seed into your oatmeal.

Or a couple of breakfast wraps (on a whole wheat wrap):
  • diced lean ham, onions, bell peppers, and scrambled egg whites
  • scrambled egg whites, refried beans, and salsa

For an extra protein kick, you would add some reduced or low fat cheese to both wraps, if you can afford the extra calories. Try a Laughing Cow cheese wedge.
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 12:51 PM   #28  

S/C/G: 140/120/118

Height: 5'3

Barbara, where do you find that peanut butter you mentioned?
azmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 02:56 PM   #29  

S/C/G: 218/175/155

Height: 5'6"

I like cottage cheese, but don't eat it very often. Yogurt has the same amount of protein and contains a lot more calcium, so I'd rather eat yogurt.
zenor77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 03:36 PM   #30  

S/C/G: 248/230/160

I totally agree that you shouldn't force feed yourself food, but I also see the value in being open to trying new foods and developing a taste for them! I hated cottage cheese, but I tried it for breakfast for two weeks and now I love it so much I am completely addicted! I find the more foods I try the more options I have to make different meals. I have always loved food, but had an abusive relationship with it. Now, food and I have worked out our differences and we both really enjoy spending time with each other and trying new things together. I eat slowly and enjoy every bite rather than trying to eat as much of something I can shove into my mouth. Maybe you'll end up hating cottage cheese forever, but for me, discovering new foods and developing new tastes has made this whole weight loss process so enjoyable I know I will never go back and that I will want to keep this up for the rest of my life! Good luck to you!
Sgirl is offline   Reply With Quote