3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Food > Food Talk And Fabulous Finds

Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 03-16-2008, 01:15 AM   #16

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

I'm inspired. I just bought the Salton yogurt maker off of Amazon. I can't wait until it gets here and I can try making my own.

I eat a yoplait yogurt every morning for breakfast and I think that making my own and adding fresh fruit will really help cut down on the sugar in my diet.

Does the homemade yogurt have the same active cultures that are in storebought??

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 08:32 AM   #17

Height: 5'7"

I did it! I did it! I made yogurt last night! I'm so impressed with myself. I definitely expected something to go wrong... but now I have two lovely mason jars full of wonderful plain yogurt!

I used the Hillbilly Housewife method with powdered milk because I don't keep dairy milk on-hand. 3 3/4 c water to 1 2/3c powdered milk, boil to 180 degrees, let cool to 115 degrees, add 2-3 tbsp starter yogurt, pour into jars, and stick in a warm oven. I set mine to 'warm' to preheat and turned it off when I put the yogurt in (don't want to cook it), left it alone overnight, and woke up to yogurt!

Is there a reason why I'm so thrilled with this? I feel kind of silly for how excited I am.

...I MADE something!

"We are all inventors, each sailing out on a voyage of discovery, guided each by a private chart, of which there is no duplicate. The world is all gates, all opportunities." Ralph Waldo Emerson
suitejudyblueeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 01:21 PM   #18

S/C/G: SW308/CW159/GW170

Default Tightwad Gazette

Thanks for the heads up on the Tightwad. I'm going to do a search on it and see what I come up with. I use the 1/2 cup because that is was the recipebooklet called for on my yogurt maker. If I can use just 2 tbsp, I wouldn't be mad! LOL! I was surprised that I haven't really ran across alot about making homemade yogurts.

Suite: Good for you. For my protein snack last night I had my yogurt with stevia and fresh fruit. My DH had some of the yogurt cheese this morning on a homemade fruit and protein bar. I haven't got a chance to cook with it yet because we keep eating it up.

PhotoChick: I used my second starter from yogart called Stonyfield because it has six of the active cultures in it. Fage only has two. I've got it in the yogurt maker now, so hope this one does as well as the others. Good luck!
Old 03-16-2008, 01:32 PM   #19

S/C/G: 218/175/155

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoChick View Post
Does the homemade yogurt have the same active cultures that are in storebought??
Yes ma'am!
Old 03-16-2008, 03:43 PM   #20
Captain Obvious

Height: 5'8

Well, I just made another batch because I ate my first batch. This time I used 1% milk and 1 can of evaporated ff milk along with 2 spoon fulls of the Fage. Oh my word, this batch is much thicker, richer and creamier tasting. I bet if I strained it it would taste as good as the Fage. I just left it on my oven while I was baking some other stuff and it set up really quick. In fact I just had some for lunch =) Any other "mix in" ideas for yogurt to make it creamier?
gastronome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 04:01 PM   #21

Default straining

I have been straining my yogurt mix. I put my starter down in a bowl and pour my cooled milk through a sieve. I know the milk doesn't come to a boil, but it sure does build up a scum around the edges and on the spoon. I love that you all have got some really good ideas and have found some different ways to make it.

Has anyone every made any with fruit in it?
Old 03-20-2008, 09:43 AM   #22

I try to eat my yogurt with fresh apples, bananas, etc. every second day. That's one of my ways to cut sugar and doesn't taste bad.
esther84813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 02:05 PM   #23

Default Fruit and Yogurt

I'm just making the plain yogurt and adding our "mushy" fruit. Mushy fruit is what my granddaughter calls thawed fruit. I'm thrilled that I can get my DH to eat the homemade yogurt, granola, and mushy fruit. Major, Major accomplishment. He loves the yogurt cheese that I make. I substituted it for cream cheese in the splenda cheese cake. I'm going to try the FF evaporated milk. I like the Fage yogurt starter better than the Stonyfield. This is our third batch and there are only two of us. It is really thrifty.
Old 03-21-2008, 11:57 PM   #24

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5'2"

Suitejudyblueeyes, I know exactly how you feel! I made yogurt, too. I used the same recipe you did. I put mine in a styrofoam cooler with two jugs of hot water. I had to reheat the water once.

My yogurt is a bit thin, but it's yogurt. I tried this once before, but the recipe I used more or less said, do not under any circumstances, let this sit more than four hours. I ended up with sour milk. I should have let it sit longer. I think maybe I will try it with the heating pad next time.
Old 03-22-2008, 12:27 AM   #25
Captain Obvious

I've left yogurt to incubate overnight for about 12 hours... it just comes out more tart then ones that I incubate for 4-6 hours. In addition to the tartness, it gets a little thicker the longer you let it sit. Hopefully this helps some. This is a very frugal way of getting yogurt...considering where I am you get a nice discount when you buy two gallons of milk at a time. I've not tried to mix in fruits as I read they mess with the incubation. I have put some flavorings in there like vanilla extract and that seems to come out fine. Also I am thinking of using FF dried milk so that I could use something like a Davinci syrup in there as part of the liquid...anyone had success with this? I'm thinking there would be a lot of flavor combinations using this method, but maybe it would mess with it?
Old 03-22-2008, 01:15 AM   #26

S/C/G: 218/175/155

Height: 5'6"

I have found that the best way to insure thick yogurt is to up the milk solids by adding 1/2 cup dry milk to each quart of milk. I've tried using less and my yogurt turns out runny. It works great every time if I add the 1/2 cup.

I've incubated (in my yard sale yogurt maker) anywhere from 6-12 hours. The 6 hour yogurt is barely tart, but the 12 hour is very tart. I don't worry about it if I have to leave it longer though, because after a few days in the fridge it's all about the same (tartness wise.) Yogurt will continue to get tart as it sits. So if you like it "mild" eat it quick.

I never add anything to mine when I'm making it since I like to use it in cooking too. I just add fruit to it when I eat it if I feel like it. More often then not I eat it plain with just a drizzle of maple syrup. Mmm...

Last edited by zenor77; 03-22-2008 at 01:15 AM.
zenor77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 08:37 PM   #27

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

Ok, I couldn't wait for the yogurt maker to get here so I tried the oven method.

I heated 3 cups of 2% milk, added in 2 TB of plain Stoneycreek yogurt to the cooled milk, put it in a jar, and let it sit in a 100deg oven for about 8 hours.

Wow. This stuff is GOOD. I drained it for about an hour in a coffee filter to thicken it up, and then mixed about 1/2 cup with a teaspoon of blackcurrant jelly. Holy wow that was a yummy breakfast.

I'm inspired and am going to try some more tonight. I've doubled the amount of milk and I'm adding some dried milk solids as well, to thicken it up before draining.

We'll see how this batch works. It seems pretty darned foolproof, though.

Last edited by PhotoChick; 03-22-2008 at 08:38 PM.
PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 10:16 PM   #28

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5'2"

Aren't we all just so domestic! I love it when I can make something myself. Not just to save money, but for the satisfaction it gives me.
Old 03-23-2008, 03:13 PM   #29
Captain Obvious

I agree gailr42... I love that I can make something so yummy. It just adds to the satisfaction. I think I'm like on my 6th batch of yogurt already. I'll have to try adding dried milk to it. I've only used evaporated milk since that is what I have on hand.
Old 03-25-2008, 07:19 AM   #30

Default Yellow Yogurt!! LOL!!

I decided that I want to try the FF evaporated milk in this batch of yogurt. A can of FF evap and 2% milk (made four cups) and 1/2 c. of Nonfat Dried milk. Strained and added 1/2c. Fage yogurt. Incubated for about 10 hours because couldn't get to it for a while.

I really don't see a difference, other than it is yellowed. Just as thick and tangy. Only difference I see is that there wasn't as much liquid. I do imagine that there is a difference in the NUT informations. Have to figure that out. I just love a couple of tablespoons with my 10 grain hot cereal and cranberries in the morning.

Anyone else more adventurous than me?