Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 03-08-2008, 09:55 PM   #1  
Method to the Madness

S/C/G: 381.4/in the middle/160

Height: 5'9

Default Jell-o pudding with soy milk?

I was wondering if anyone had ever tried making the boxes of instant Jell-o pudding with something OTHER than fat free milk, such as soy milk or almond milk. If so, what were the results?

I'm mostly just curious. That way, next time I have a sugar free pudding craving and don't have milk in the house, I can hopefully use something else that I have on hand in the pantry.
LindseyLouWho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 10:01 PM   #2  
Ilene the Bean

I tried that once, with soy milk, and it wouldn't take, I have no idea why, I've used plain water and the pudding firmed up, but not soy milk, I've tried it more than once too, to no avail .... ...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 10:01 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 174/137/135

Height: 5"5

No, just use skim milk. We tried chocolate pudding with chocolate soy and it was really, really...really gross. It didn't set up and was really clumpy.
KylieH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 10:39 AM   #4  
Captain Obvious

Height: 5'8

I've never had a problem using soy milk and instant pudding. It always came out great the same way as with ff milk except with a little taste of soy. Just don't use chocolate with chocolate like Kylie pointed out..use the vanilla or plain. Or you can keep some instant milk on hand and use that. Just make up the milk per the instructions and then use it to make your pudding. You can also use this method with canned evaporated milk. I've done these things before and it always comes out great.
gastronome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 01:02 PM   #5  
Method to the Madness

S/C/G: 381.4/in the middle/160

Height: 5'9

Thanks everyone for your advice!
LindseyLouWho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 11:49 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 330/ticker/192

Height: 5'10

I found that the pudding thickened only slightly, using either soy or almond milk. Now, when I make it, I use half regular milk and half almond milk. It thickens better, has less calories than using all milk or all soy, and is cheaper than using all almond milk. If I'm out of milk, I'll still make it using all almond milk, and deal with the runnier consistency.
BattleAx is offline   Reply With Quote