3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Food Talk And Fabulous Finds (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/food-talk-fabulous-finds-17/)
-   -   Almond Milk (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/food-talk-fabulous-finds/135588-almond-milk.html)

suesully 02-28-2008 08:13 AM

As far as I know, Almond Breeze is the only brand of unsweetened almond milk. I buy mine at my local natural market for $1.79/qt. (I think that is a good price).

chick_in_the_hat 02-28-2008 08:37 PM

1 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
1/2 c crushed ice
1/2 c frozen mango chunks
a couple scoops of splenda

Blend until smooth

I just had a really good smoothie for about 100 calories. :cb:

azmom 03-01-2008 06:06 PM

I finally bought some today....I can't wait to try it!

The mango smoothie recipe sounds amazing!! Thanks!!

azmom 03-04-2008 02:10 PM

Ok, I just LOVE this stuff! It's awesome in my cereal and I just made my own version of hot cocoa with it & I am sippin it while I write this! It is so yummy!!

I used the almond breeze unsweetened vanilla falor, toll house unsweeted cocoa powder and some stevia. This tastes so decadent. I am so in love!

Zepher 03-04-2008 07:49 PM

I made some almond jello today with this, unflavored gelatin, splenda and stevia. And it was good =)

mariquita 03-04-2008 07:56 PM

Be careful eating almonds in anything. Make sure they are roasted though.

A police officer friend of mine said that he could tell right away if someone had been poisoned by the smell of almonds -- which is arsenic :(

Is the almond milk processed like regular milk? Just wondering.

jillybean720 03-04-2008 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mariquita (Post 2085000)
Be careful eating almonds in anything. Make sure they are roasted though.

A police officer friend of mine said that he could tell right away if someone had been poisoned by the smell of almonds -- which is arsenic :(

I'm confused--I've eaten raw almonds plenty of times and have been fine. Am I missing something? Since when are almonds arsenic?

Nevermind--30 seconds of Googling told me that yes, some almond skins contain traces of arsenic, but you'd have to consume quite a bit to actually have any ill effects. Arsenic smells like almonds, but someone poisoned by arsenic likely didn't become poisoned via actual almonds. Apple seeds, mangoes, and, I think, peach pits (or was it apricot pits?) also contain arsenic--but none of them contain enough to harm someone unless consumed in unusually large quantities all at once.

bargoo 03-06-2008 01:27 PM

I just bought some Almond Breeze today , I don't like soy milk at all, so am anxious to try it. I especially want try it on cereal.

peachcake 03-06-2008 01:35 PM

I don't eat milk in many things. I do like chocolate milk and hot cocoa though. So the almond milk works for this? Does it work for baking? I put a little skim milk into my baked oatmeal recipe, would it work with this? I don't know anything about it...

mandalinn82 03-06-2008 01:47 PM

Arsenic smells like almonds, but it isn't actually related to almonds.

Someone poisoned by arsenic will have an almond-y smell on their breath, but not from almonds...from the arsenic!

The two compounds are completely unrelated, but do smell the same. Almonds are safe!

bargoo 03-07-2008 10:29 AM

I put one cup of Almond Breeze and a small banana in the blender. Delicious!

cbmare 03-07-2008 05:59 PM

I'm so glad we are all enjoying it. I am getting over a cold and normally would have to forego milk products because of how it clogs me up and makes my cough worse. That did not happen with almond milk.

When I emailed the Blue Diamond people and they sent all the coupons, they also sent along a little cookbook. I think I'll be trying some of those recipes very soon.

suitejudyblueeyes 03-11-2008 02:29 PM

Jill, I saw you mention almond milk in some other thread unrelated to this one a couple days ago and was curious enough to buy some last night. Now I find there's a whole discussion going on :p

WOW. Is almond milk ever good, or what?? I really don't like the chalky flavor of soy milk, but this tastes nothing like soy milk at all! Hurray, an enjoyable cow's milk replacement! If I could ever find almonds for a decent price I'd be willing to try making my own... but this is one case where it almost seems more cost-effective to buy the processed "convenience" version over the make-your-own.

cbmare 03-11-2008 04:34 PM

Trust me. Those almonds get pretty ornery when you try to milk them. I learned my lesson when trying to milk chocolate soy beans. I'm assuming almonds have the same temperament.

I did notice that there are two brands at TJ's now. The other one, Pacific Natural, is sweetened. It's the same price, $1.99.

Cheree 03-11-2008 04:48 PM

[QUOTE=cbmare;2095359]Trust me. Those almonds get pretty ornery when you try to milk them. I learned my lesson when trying to milk chocolate soy beans. I'm assuming almonds have the same temperament.
[QUOTE]
:rofl: