Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 02-08-2008, 02:26 PM   #1  
No description available.

Default How many servings of seafood do you eat a week?

I bought a bag of frozen tilapia filets. Yummo! 3 minutes in the microwave and I can have fish tacos, or fish on grains/veggies, etc. I also have been enjoying canned salmon, added to soups or to make a salmon salad. And then there is shrimp.

Fish is so good, so easy, and fabulous protein.

The problem? I worry about mercury and pollution. I could seriously eat seafood twice a day everyday....I'm not sure that is a good plan though!

Do you limit how often you eat seafood each week as a general rule?
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 02:28 PM   #2  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Honestly, I'm not a seafood person. I know how to cook it so it tastes decent, and I get a hankering maybe once a month...but I don't make it at home, as a rule, since I would much rather have other sources of protein.

I should go add that to the diet rules I'm breaking!
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 02:30 PM   #3  

Well, there goes my plan of moving in with you!!! I'm still tempted by your desserts, though!
Old 02-08-2008, 02:30 PM   #4  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

When I was eating meat, I would eat fish about once a week. Now I don't eat any meat so....

The mercury honestly is very concerning but if you are using fish to replace factory farmed, grain fed meat (pork, beef, chicken), then it is probably healthier even with the mercury concerns.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 02:33 PM   #5  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

This article has a nice comparison of omega-3 vs. mercury, including the quote below:

Quote:
Salmon, oysters, whitefish, sea bass, freshwater trout, and sardines contain both high levels of heart-healthy omega-3s and low mercury levels, below 0.13 parts per million.

Other low-mercury choices include perch, king crab, flounder, sole, pollock, catfish, croaker, scallops, crawfish, shrimp, clams, and tilapia. They contain less omega-3s, but servings can add up.

Tuna is controversial, because different varieties contain different amounts of both mercury and heart-healthy fats. Canned light tuna contains a small amount of omega-3, about as much as shrimp, and fairly low 0.13 ppm mercury. But fresh tuna steaks and the more expensive canned white or albacore tuna contain three times as much mercury, and almost as much omega-3 as salmon.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 02:42 PM   #6  
Me Want Cookie!

S/C/G: 195/145/155

Height: 6'

I probably eat a 6 oz. salmon fillet about 3 times a week. I don't worry about it too much because as Amanda said, it is on the list of low mercury level fish. I would worry if you ate a lot of tuna, but I personally can't stand tuna so it's no problem for me.

For what it's worth, my brother used to eat a lot of canned tuna, at least 1 can a day. He started to get horrible headaches and couldn't figure out why...once he laid off the tuna, they went away.
Cookie_Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 02:59 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 244/234/135

Height: 5'6"

I have shrimp occasionally, and that's about it. The only way I like actual fish is fried in a beer batter (yumm) and I haven't had that since last time my dad and I went fishing. (many months ago) So, close to zero, since I only have shrimp about every other week.
Horo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 04:15 PM   #8  
I'm Just a Little Crazy

S/C/G: 250/215/170

Height: 5'9"

I heard that wild caught is BETTER than farm raised - less mercury. I don't have any fact to back that up with - but I try to stick to wild caught when possible. I try to eat it twice a week. I LOVE shrimp, lobster, cod, and haddock (the milder fishes)... but I prefer my fish fresh and it can get expensive.
SCraver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 04:24 PM   #9  

That's a great list. Thanks, Amanda.

I guess I spend so much time cautioning pregnant women that I feel a little funny about going over 4 servings a week. But then, I am not growing a fetus.

That's very interesting about the headaches and tuna....I eat tuna just a few times a year.

Last edited by midwife; 02-08-2008 at 04:24 PM.
Old 02-08-2008, 04:40 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 140/120/118

Height: 5'3

I love tilapia and eat about 1 or 2 times a week. My favorite way is pan-fried in a little "Pam" with garlic salt and fresh ground pepper topped with tri-color peppers & onions. I am so hungry right now!
azmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 08:16 PM   #11  
Ija
Extra gluten

S/C/G: 286/135/135

I eat fish about three times a week. The health benefits really outweight the dangers. Fish is so good for you, and yummy! Earlier tonight I made the breaded cod recipe from 3FC and ohmygoodness was it fantastic. I also love to make baked salmon with a little olive oil and turmeric --it's really all you need.
Ija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 08:31 PM   #12  
Finding My Bliss

S/C/G: Fit & Fat!

Height: Tall & Strong, Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwife View Post

Do you limit how often you eat seafood each week as a general rule?
I don't eat any sea creatures, ever, and some of your concerns are some of my major reasons why.
SoulBliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 06:42 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 200/190/165

Height: 5'9

I'm trying to have fish twice a week at least, I hate salmon but I'm forcing myself as it's great for the skin. I LOVE shrimp and figured out how easy it is to cook shrimp scampi with garlic, oil, some tomatoes. And tuna is so easy on salads. Plus I've been buying that imitation crab and making salads with lowfat dressing. That's good for variety although I'm not sure it counts. Salmon is the miracle fish, if you eat it just watch your SKIN GLOW.
horsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 09:48 PM   #14  
I'm a Loser ;)

S/C/G: SCG: 255/see ticker/160

Height: 5'9"

I could eat fish every day

I limit our family to 2 times a week max... but deffinately once a week.

We eat salmon, cod and basa.

The kids are a little hesitant on fish, until I started cooking our salmon with lemon pepper shake N bake. Oh yum! They finish their fish before me!!!
tamaralynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 09:57 PM   #15  
Rennie

S/C/G: 228/Ticker/120

Height: 4 foot 11 inches

We have salmon twice a week and tuna once a week.

Last edited by Shy Moment; 02-18-2008 at 03:32 PM.
Shy Moment is offline   Reply With Quote