Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 02-19-2008, 12:53 PM   #31  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

Actually, I was talking about Trader Joe's High Fiber Cereal, which I love. I don't eat a full serving (which is 2/3 cup at 80 calories), I just eat 1/2 cup which works out to about 60 calories. I'm eating it stirred into a cup of Trader Joe's non-fat Greek yogurt, so I don't need a full serving.

I like Fiber One too, which is also 60 calories per 1/2 cup, but I like Trader Joe's version better. A couple points in favor of Fiber One is that it has no added sugar (Trader Joe's version does have sugar added; Fiber One uses artificial sweetener) and has more fiber in it than Trader Joe's version. But I like the texture and taste of Trader Joe's version better. And, the number one ingredient in Fiber One is corn bran--when/if I give up products with added sugar I'm also giving up corn, so both these cereals will be off the table.

I also really like Nature's Path Flax Plus Multibran Flakes, which has about 75 calories per 1/2 cup. But it also has added sugar in it.
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 02:06 PM   #32  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I'm sorry Barbara. It was the calorie count and the amount that had me guessing my beloved Fiber One. I have still to yet to get to a Trader Joe's. If, no, WHEN , I do, I will give their brand a try.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 02:25 PM   #33  

Height: 5'7"

I'm utterly in love with greens right now. Can't get enough. DH becoming jealous...

I eat a big spinach salad pretty much every day at lunch (usually with blueberries and a toss of walnuts on top, no dressing). I think last week I went through two of those big 16 oz bags of baby spinach! I put it on my morning egg and english muffin, too.

It's not just spinach, though -- it's collards and turnip greens too. In fact, I just had a big bowl of turnip greens with black beans for lunch. I just can't get enough! For a while I started thinking I was deficient in some nutrient and my body was craving greens as a result (for iron? calcium?)... but now I think it's just because I like 'em.

I'm also on a citrus kick.... which is wonderful timing since the oranges and such seem to be at a perfect stage right now. Not too sweet, not dry. I don't do juices so it's just the whole fruit I can't do without.
suitejudyblueeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 04:00 PM   #34  

S/C/G: 164/138/120

Height: 5'2"

Banquet Turkey Links. Only 110 calories for 3 of them and a perfect side for my Kashi waffles in the morning!!
ThePrettyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 08:13 PM   #35  

S/C/G: 140/120/118

Height: 5'3

I know it's processed but it really fills me up and keeps me full for a long

time! I am talking about the Quaker Weight Control Oatmeal My favortite is

the maple & brown sugar flavor. Has anyone else tried it???
azmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 08:14 PM   #36  

S/C/G: 140/120/118

Height: 5'3

By the way, "The Pretty One"...you look like Jillian , the trainer, on The

Biggest Loser!
azmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 02:24 PM   #37  

S/C/G: 164/138/120

Ooooh thank you! That's one I havent heard. I get Lo from The Hills on the daily basis though
ThePrettyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 03:40 PM   #38  

S/C/G: 106/106-107/103-100

Height: 5' 1.5''

Peanut butter sandwiches. with light orowheat bread. PB tended to be a binge food for me but since I've had so much of it all week, I no longer feel the binge crave and can eat semi-moderate amounts.

Azmom, I like quaker wght. control oatmeal too! You should try the banana bread favor. Yummy.
Zepher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 02:39 AM   #39  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinrobin View Post
I'm sorry Barbara. It was the calorie count and the amount that had me guessing my beloved Fiber One. I have still to yet to get to a Trader Joe's. If, no, WHEN , I do, I will give their brand a try.
It was a good guess. I eat plenty of Fiber One, too, just, ummm, not for breakfast. Mostly in my beloved Fiber One Muffins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zepher View Post
Peanut butter sandwiches. with light orowheat bread.
I love PB&J sandwiches. For months, I ate one every day for lunch. I had just started with my current trainer when I was eating them and it really bugged him. He just couldn't get over the fat in the PB. But it was all measured and accounted for in my calories (and besides, most of it is good fat which I don't get enough of as it is).

Last edited by BlueToBlue; 02-22-2008 at 02:40 AM.
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 08:05 PM   #40  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

I'll bet ya never thought you'd be addicted to any of this stuff! Amazing how tastes change.

I guess I am addicted to my moning oatmeal. Nothing seems to satify me like a bowl of hot cereal. My biggest problem with the hot cereal is figuring out how long to cook the different varieties in the microwave without having it boil over and make a mess.
gailr42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 04:46 PM   #41  
Method to the Madness

S/C/G: 381.4/in the middle/160

Height: 5'9

My current food obsession is 1% cottage cheese or fat free Greek yogurt mixed with a serving of SF jell-o. It gives both of these a lot of bulk, so I can feel like I'm pigging out. Also, it gives both of them some sweetness and flavor without adding many calories. I sometimes will do fruit, but when I want a low-cal snack, this is usually what I opt for.

I guess I'm also obsessed with pb&j for breakfast... only not smushed together in a sandwich. I take either Ezekiel bread or Arnold's Natural Flax and Fiber Bread, pop it in the toaster until it's nice and golden. Then on one piece I have some sort of nut butter (either almond or one of my wonderful Peanut Butter & Co. flavors) and on the other some sort of preserves or low calorie apple butter. I *love* fig or black currant preserves.

There are a lot of others, but I'm also a creature of habit and tend to eat the same things for weeks and weeks, get tired of it, rotate a new menu in, and then go back to my old. It's pretty cyclical usually.

Edited to add:

Gail, I know what you mean about the hot cereals. I still haven't been able to cook steel cut oats in the microwave. I tried it once and ended up with a mess. Oh well. Darn me and my laziness and love of shortcuts!

Last edited by LindseyLouWho; 02-25-2008 at 04:49 PM.
LindseyLouWho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 04:50 PM   #42  
Im a work in progress!!

La Tortilla Factory extra virgin olive oil soft wrap!!! SOOO Good!! With some jenni-o sun dried tomato turkey w/ avocado!!!!
Its 150 c. with out the avocado, and about 50-60 c for the avocado!!

Last edited by CountryGirl18; 02-25-2008 at 04:53 PM.
CountryGirl18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 10:52 PM   #43  

S/C/G: 163/147/126

I love this thread!

My favorite right now is crunchies fruit and justtomatoes dried veggies. This new freeze drying process is awesome! A snack pack of crunchies is only 25-35 calories and tastes amazing!
SandiCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 12:19 AM   #44  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Oh yeah, love the justveggies stuff (and the fruit) - just wish they weren't so spendy!!!
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 10:03 AM   #45  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Costco carries the snack packs of freeze dried fruit. They are spendy but oh so good.

Last edited by nelie; 02-26-2008 at 10:04 AM.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote