Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 01-28-2008, 02:16 PM   #1  
Taking It Back

S/C/G: 199.8/189.2/134.2

Height: 5'6.2"

Default Question about fiber

I heard on some show the other day, that a good way to feel fuller after meals is to sprinkle a little fiber in your coffee or on top of your soup or cereal. Does anyone do this? If so, I would like to know where you can buy fiber to sprinkle (is this Metamucil?), and if it changes the taste drastically or not. Thanks! Could use feeling a bit more full and know I need more fiber anyway.
Nadia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 02:33 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 163/Ticker/135

Height: 5'3"

My aunt does it all the time and said it does not change the flavor of the food at all.
crbowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 02:35 PM   #3  
Raised by a cup of coffee

S/C/G: 220.4/162

Height: 5'8"

I do, but not for this reason. I have a problem with.. well.. movement. And fiber helps that. Even though I eat a diet plentiful in fiber, the fiber in Benefiber (what I use) is a different type of fiber (so says my doc) and it has actually helped tremendously with my problem.

I must say though, that I don't notice a difference in my "full" feeling because of it. I use it 3 times a day. Benefiber is tasteless, and will not bulk up the foods that you put it in.

Edit - some of those fiber things do have tastes. Check the labels. Some say "orange flavor", etc. You need to look for the ones that say they are tasteless and won't bulk up your food.

Last edited by modkittn; 01-28-2008 at 02:36 PM.
modkittn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 02:37 PM   #4  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I don't know about sprinkling on fiber. But I do eat an enormous amount of fiber and it DOES keep me way fuller then anything else on the planet. I get my fiber from high fiber cereal and tons and tons of veggies and some fruits that I eat throughout the day. I would advise you to try to incorporate some high fiber foods into your daily menu. You will be amazed at what it can do for you.

Here's a list of some high fiber foods:

http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art49479.asp
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 02:42 PM   #5  
Taking It Back

S/C/G: 199.8/189.2/134.2

Height: 5'6.2"

Thanks for the ideas and advice! I need it much more for the movement than feeling full, so it is odd that I never considered it until I saw that. But, whatever works.
Nadia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 02:56 PM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadia View Post
Thanks for the ideas and advice! I need it much more for the movement than feeling full, so it is odd that I never considered it until I saw that. But, whatever works.
Just make sure you drink a lot of water when taking a fiber supplement, otherwise it won't really work properly. I'd recommend the Benefiber, I really like it. I put it in my yogurt, tea, milk, etc. No taste and no bulkiness. The reason I take the supplement is because I already tried adding in more natural fiber and that didn't work. You might want to discuss with your doctor first to make sure there isn't anything else going on (I did, and he was the one who recommended the fiber). Good luck!
Old 01-28-2008, 03:10 PM   #7  
I wanna be a loser, too

Height: vertically challenged

Be careful! I started sprinkling it on my high fiber cereal. I was in a world of hurt!

If I sprinkle it now, it's on something that isn't high fiber, such as a snack.

Once you get used to more fiber, you probably won't have the problems some of us have had.
cbmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 03:23 PM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbmare View Post
Be careful! I started sprinkling it on my high fiber cereal. I was in a world of hurt!

If I sprinkle it now, it's on something that isn't high fiber, such as a snack.

Once you get used to more fiber, you probably won't have the problems some of us have had.
mare I never had that problem, but obviously I've had the opposite, which led me to taking a fiber supplement on top of everything else. And I do eat hihg-fiber cereal often or a fiber one bar, along with lots of fruits and veggies (at least 7 servings a day!). Everyone is different I think. When I started buying the Fiber One bars I warned DH of the "effects" they had on some people. He never had problems with them.