Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 02-21-2008, 11:39 AM   #16  
HAPPY HEALTHY ME

S/C/G: 215.4/-/165

Height: 5'2"

another coke zero & cherry coke zero fan here - I drink one every day with either lunch or dinner
GONNABE165 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 01:32 PM   #17  
diamondgeog

I cut out diet drinks three weeks ago cold turkey. There have been studies that say when your body gets a sweet taste but no calories it gets 'confused'. The studies had some results but they were difficult for me to verify since it was in video form.

In any case I think common sense says there is no 'free lunch'. I would check out though the connection between diet drinks and weight loss at least. Although it may seem harmless...zero calories....it might not be.

I did do some 'research' online. In addition to the 'confusion' factor, you kind of rev up your body for calories with a sweet taste, but also diet soads can get in the way of calcium and magnesium available to your body. They can 'bind' up the magnesium.

Why is this important? Not enough magnesium can get in the way of serotoin production making you crave more carbs AND making you feel bad. I do not think any of us think diet sodas are healthy but I know for me knowing that they very well might be getting in the way of my losing weight was enough to get me to quit (and go ice tea and water and skim milk basically). Now knowing about the magnesium thing I am really going to quit.

Plus I am saving some well semi-serious cash. At least $10 bucks a week (probably more) but hey that is $520 at the end of the year.

Last edited by diamondgeog; 02-27-2008 at 03:37 PM. Reason: new info
Old 02-27-2008, 07:33 PM   #18  
I'm a Loser ;)

S/C/G: SCG: 255/see ticker/160

Height: 5'9"

I'm not much of a soda drinker, but when I want one - I grab Zero.. I like it better than most other pops now. Although I do love Diet. Dr. Pepper - In fact I prefer Diet Dr. Pepper to the original.
tamaralynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 12:43 PM   #19  
Let's salsa!

S/C/G: 208/160/158 for now

Height: 5'9"

I like Zero very much myself. On the rare occasions when I buy a coke, I reach for Zero.
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote