Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 01-23-2008, 01:35 PM   #16  
I wanna be a loser, too

Height: vertically challenged

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandalinn82 View Post
Brandnewjen - I'm mostly with you. I really want a "Calorie Commando" type show to come back...healthy versions of favorite foods, with low enough calories you can eat them regularly, using healthy ingredients. It's the way I cook and I would love some new ideas, but can't ever get them!

I'd forgotten about his show. I just sent Food Network a message asking for him to return and for more shows like his.
cbmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 04:33 PM   #17  

Height: 5'8"

And speaking of Calorie Commando, did anyone ever see the Graham Kerr shows where he would take a recipe and make it lower fat, calories, and more healthful?? I forget the name, I used to watch it years and years ago.

At the end of the show he would take someone from the audience and would have the regular recipe next to his "improved" recipe and would have them taste it.

I used to like that show a lot, he's a funny guy.

Last edited by friendlykat4u; 01-23-2008 at 04:34 PM.
friendlykat4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 04:42 PM   #18  
I wanna be a loser, too

I used to watch "The Galloping Gourmet" all the time! Then he had "A New Seasoning". That one was so so. I really did enjoy his last show, "The Gathering Place". I loved it when he would show the numbers. I tried a few before I changed my eating style and didn't enjoy them. I bet I would now.

Last edited by cbmare; 01-23-2008 at 04:43 PM.
Old 01-23-2008, 04:46 PM   #19  
I wanna be a loser, too

Here's what Graham Kerr is doing now.

http://www.daybydaygourmet.com/AboutUs.aspx
Old 01-24-2008, 12:17 PM   #20  
Taking life by the horns

S/C/G: 302/ticker/215

Height: 6'1"

Yeah, there was a magazine (WW? Shape?) that would take "comfort foods" and make them better for you (still not GREAT but way better than they were).

Like, I would LOVE a way to make MacNCheese better for you... I heard someone used squash in there... hmmm.. not so sure about that. But I agree, I want someone to teach me NEW ways to cook OLD favorites!
BrandNewJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 12:55 PM   #21  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I used to love watching the Calorie Commando, he is pretty good.

I don't think I've ever had Mac N cheese but for some reason, I had a weird craving for it a few weeks ago. (How do you get cravings for things you never had? don't ask me) There is a mexican version of mac n cheese that I used to make that is pretty good. Involves onions and tomato sauce and only a little cheese, it is sooo good.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 03:23 PM   #22  
Maintainer

S/C/G: 200/129/135

Height: 5'6"

I miss the Calorie Commando, too!
nineteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 03:49 PM   #23  

cbmare: thanks for the link!

BrandNewJen: It's Ellie Krieger that used pureed squash in a mac & cheese recipe. She swears you can't tell... yeah right, lol. But wouldn't hurt to try it. Here's the link: http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/reci..._36713,00.html

I'm not so sure I'd want to make it, my husband is a huge fan of mac & cheese, but hates squash. And I like squash but don't care much for the mac & cheese . If I ever made this recipe it'd be for my husband, and if he tastes the squash, well, then it's squashed all right.
Old 01-24-2008, 06:54 PM   #24  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5'2"

I have Small changes big results, by Ellie Krieger. This is the book that really got me thinking about changing my eating habits. The book encompasses nutrition, fitness and wellness. I certainly haven't done/cooked everything she talks about, but I like the book and her. Two recipes that are "go to" for me are her white chili and citrus ginger (salad) dressing.

I watched her make chocolate mousse with tofu. In the end, she says you don't really save much calorie-wise, but it cuts fat. Well, in that instance, I would just as soon have the real thing once or twice a year. The recipe seemed like way too much trouble.

Last edited by gailr42; 01-24-2008 at 06:55 PM. Reason: spelling
gailr42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 04:07 PM   #25  

S/C/G: 225/191/150

Height: 5'4"

Default Ellie Krieger's 'The Food You Crave' recipe book

I picked up Ellie Krieger's "The Food You Crave" recipe book about a month ago after I had tried a few of her recipes from the Food Network website. What a treat to have so many healthy and tasty recipes! A few of my coworkers has since purchased her book as well and we are all happy with the tasty meals and the pounds that are coming off. Two of my favorite recipes from Ellie are: Savory Peach Chicken and Maple-Mustard Chicken Thighs.

You can get a copy of the recipes and the nutrition information from the Food Network website and I've attempted to copy them below. Enjoy!

Maple-Mustard Chicken Thighs

4 large bone-in chicken thighs, skins removed (about 1 1/2 pounds)
2 tablespoons grainy French mustard
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
1 clove minced garlic
1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
2 tablespoons maple syrup
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
Rinse chicken and pat dry. Combine mustard, garlic, marjoram and maple syrup in a small bowl. Spread about 1 1/2 tablespoons mustard mixture evenly on top of each chicken thigh, being careful to cover as much of the surface as possible to form a "crust." Arrange chicken in a glass baking dish. Bake for 45 to 50 minutes, or until mustard mixture has formed a crust and is slightly hardened, and juices run clear when the chicken is pierced.

Nutrition Information
Nutritional Analysis Per Serving Calories 260
Total fat 8g Saturated fat 1.5g
Monounsaturated fat 2g Polyunsaturated fat 2g
Cholesterol 115mg Sodium 840mg
Protein 29g Carbohydrates 17g
Fiber 1.5g

Savory Peach Chicken
1 tablespoon canola oil
4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts, about 1 1/4 pounds
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
2 tablespoons brown sugar
2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
2 tablespoons rice vinegar
1/4 cup orange juice
1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
4 large firm-ripe peaches, cut into 1/4-inch slices, or 2 (10-ounce) packages frozen peaches, (about 4 1/2 cups)
2 tablespoons sliced almonds
Heat the oil in a large skillet over a medium-high heat. Season the chicken on both sides with salt and pepper, add to the skillet and cook until browned, about 2 minutes per side. Meanwhile combine the brown sugar, soy sauce, rice vinegar and orange juice in a small bowl and set aside. When the chicken is browned, transfer to a plate and set aside.
Add the ginger and garlic to the pan and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds. Add the chicken broth, the soy sauce mixture, and the peaches to the pan. Turn the heat up to high and cook, uncovered, for about 6 minutes, stirring occasionally until the sauce is nicely thickened and the peaches soften. Add the chicken back to the pan with the sauce, turn the heat down to moderate-low, cover and cook for about 5 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through.

In the meantime, toast the almonds in a dry skillet over a medium-high heat stirring frequently, until golden brown and fragrant, about 2 minutes.
Serve the chicken topped with the sauce and sprinkled with the toasted almonds.
Yield: 4 serving, 1 piece chicken, 2/3 cup sauce and 1/2 tablespoon almonds per serving

Nutrition Information
Nutritional Analysis per Serving Calories 310
Total fat 9g Saturated fat 1.5g
Monounsaturated fat 4.5g Polyunsaturated fat 2g
Protein 32g Carbohydrates 25g
Fiber 3g Cholesterol 80mg
Sodium 560mg

Last edited by Empress Nancy; 02-07-2008 at 10:08 AM.
Empress Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 04:40 PM   #26  
I wanna be a loser, too

Nancy, could you please post those recipes?

Does she give the nutritional info with her recipes?
Old 02-06-2008, 06:51 PM   #27  

I bought the book too, but I haven't made anything yet.