Turnip recipe needed for New Years dinner.

• My MIL is making Christmas Dinner today, on New Years I'm making dinner.

We're having turkey both times. She cooks hers right side up... no basting no flavoring... nothing

I brine mine overnight, stuff with veggies and herbs and cook upside down (no need to baste...). I throw a can beer in the bottom of the pan to catch drippings (which makes KILLER gravy by the way!)

MIL makes Mashed pototes... and I figured I do something different.

I like turnip, but have never really cooked it myself other than in stews. Does anyone have any good turnip recipes?
  • My SO and I love this recipe:

Turnips Glazed in Red Wine Vinegar
    16 oz turnips
    2 oz diced red onion or shallots (about 1/4 cup)
    1/4 cup water
    1 tbsp butter or margarine
    1/2 tsp salt
    1 tbsp or more of red wine vinegar

Peel the turnips and cut into quarters (sixths or eighths if large), leaving an inch or so of the stems attached. Save the greens if you like them.

Combine turnips, onions, water, butter, and salt in a large skillet. Cook over med-high heat, covered, until the turnips are almost tender (about 8-10 minutes).

Uncover and increase the heat and cook until water evaporates and bits stuck to the bottom of the pan begin to brown. Add the vinegar and cook until turnips are covered in a brown glaze and vinegar has evaporated. If the vinegar evaporates too quickly, add more.

Chop the turnip greens and throw them in at the very end if you like them.
  • OH YUM! That sounds devine! My MIL Is a little iffy about turnips, so I wanted to try something that was different from the plain boiled turnip her parents used to force her to eat when she was little LOL.
  • This is definitely a change from boiled turnips! My SO is iffy on all vegetables and turnips are no exception, but he loves this recipe. Never gets tired of it.

You can also throw in some chopped walnuts or pecans when you add the vinegar. The recipe originally called for them, but my SO and I don't like nuts in our food so I never add them.