Eggnog ...

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • My recent post in the thread on dairy vs. soy, about how I found that soymilk-based nog is so much less calorific than real or imitation dairy-based eggnog, got me to thinking: How come you can get eggnog-flavored Ensure @ any time of the year but you can only get eggnog during the Xmas season (and I think I saw some once in a grocery store around Easter)?

Hey, I see I just went past 200 posts! Yea me
  • That is an interesting question. I make my egg nog home made. There are a couple of brands I have tried that I like but home made is best
  • Just got this eggnog alternative recipe from Hungry Girl today:

Ingredients:
    5 cups 8th Continent Light Vanilla Soymilk (or another light vanilla soymilk**)
    1 small (4-serving) package Je ll-O Sugar Free Fat Free Instant Pudding mix, Vanilla
    6 no-calorie sweetener packets (like Splenda)
    1 tsp. rum extract or imitation rum extract
    1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg

Directions:
    In a blender, combine all ingredients and blend on high until mixed thoroughly. Refrigerate for a few hours to allow it to thicken. Makes five 1-cup servings!

HG Alternative! For some "over 21" eggnog, add 5 ounces of rum to the recipe. With 153 calories and a POINTSŪ value of 3* per serving, that's WAY better than an ordinary eggnog cocktail!

Serving Size: 1 cup (1/5th of recipe)
    Calories: 88
    Fat: 2g
    Sodium: 350mg
    Carbs: 11g
    Fiber: 0g
    Sugars: 5g
    Protein: 6g

POINTSŪ value 2*
  • Yes that is much lower than what I make. Mine has 5 grams of fat and 40 carbs per cup. But has milk and sugar in it too.
  • I ask questions like that all the time. Why eggnog only at one certain time of year? It doesn't make any sense. It must fall under that stupid reason of: "But we've always done it this way."
    I think we should make a new "rule." July 16 is Official Eggnog day.
  • spiny
    Oh I agree. There should be a mountain dew day too. Don't forget the dew
  • The Ensure may be available all year because it is canned and not perishable like milk products are.

I like eggnog. However, I want about a half cup and I'm done.
  • cb
    I want about 1/2 a gallon at a time lol.
  • I don't think eggnog should be had at any time of the year, the thought of raw eggs grosses me out.

I would drink the soynog though but I tried their Pumpkin spice soy drink... oh it is soo good... pumpkin should be a year round thing.
  • pumpkin
  • I love eggnog! Soy or otherwise (some recipes do cook the eggs.) I've decided this year to limit myself to one glass on Christmas, because it just doesn't taste right without a shot of bourbon and a generous grating of nutmeg. YUM!
  • Quote: pumpkin
    I beg to differ, that sounds yummy. nelie, is that a Silk product? I'll have to check it out next time I go to the store
  • Yeah! Silk Pumpkin Spice... nummilicious. I've also heard they have Silk Peppermint Chocolate... I haven't tried it or seen it though.
  • Pumpkin spice soy drink year round sounds good too!

-Tradition rebel mouse
  • Quote: I don't think eggnog should be had at any time of the year, the thought of raw eggs grosses me out
    OMG that's right, I forgot about the SURGEON GENERAL's WARNING: RAW EGG IS HAZARDOUS TO YOUR HEALTH [screeching Psycho strings] YEEK YEEK YEEK [/screeching Psycho strings] ::hunts in vain for a skull-and-xbones smiley:: !!! Course I don't drink the real full-cholesterol eggnog anyway, and I suppose commercial brands are made with pasteurized eggstuff