Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 12-01-2007, 11:18 PM   #1  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Default Jocalat - Crazy good

I was having a chocolate craving and as I perused the aisles at Whole Foods, i saw Jocalat bars. I've known about their existence for a while but I had only purchased the regular Lara Bars and hadn't tried their chocolate bars. I tried the Chocolate Mint and it was out of this world. I have no idea why people eat regular chocolate bars when they can have this.

The bar has 190 calories and is basically a mixture of dates, nuts and chocolate. I know you can get your chocolate fix for less calories with a small piece of dark chocolate but this chocolatey and served as a snack.

I mostly buy Lara Bars for hiking or having a snack on hand when I'm out and about. They aren't something I eat on a daily basis although they are within my plan (for the most part).

So I would recommend them as they are a healthy version of a chocolate bar but I wouldn't recommend they become a daily habit, hey unless you want to
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 12:50 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 209/209/160

Height: 5'9

That sounds good Nelie. Does it taste like dates and nuts and chocolate, or does it taste like synthetic diet food? I hate the taste of those diet/nutrition bars. I might have a look for them next time I'm at the grocery store.
baffled111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 09:22 PM   #3  
Just Me

It doesn't taste like diet food and it doesn't taste like dates. It does have a slight nut texture but not really taste. The one I had was chocolate mint and it only tasted like some chocolate mint candy bar. Amazing how they do that with something that only contains fruits, nuts and pure chocolate.
Old 12-03-2007, 01:10 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

Oooh, it sounds like the Cliff Nectar bars (also made mostly of dates). I'm in love with the Dark Chocolate & Walnut (160 calories!). I see they also have a Dark Chocolate & Raspberry I need to check out. I'll keep my eye out for the other kind too!

To me, Nectar bars just taste nice and chocolately - no fake tastes or chalkiness. This is my idea of a "candy bar" ingredient list:

Ingredients: Organic Dates, Organic Walnuts, Organic Unsweetened Chocolate, Organic Cocoa, Organic Vanilla

Last edited by Glory87; 12-03-2007 at 01:11 AM.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 03:04 AM   #5  
Finding My Bliss

S/C/G: Fit & Fat!

Height: Tall & Strong, Baby!

Lara Bars, Jocolat and Nectar Bars are my faves!
SoulBliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 10:52 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 209/209/160

Height: 5'9

Glory, that is a great ingredient list! Very nice.

I think I'll get some of those. Snack bars are good for keeping in the desk for food emergencies but often it's difficult to find a bar with reasonable calories and decent taste.
baffled111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 11:43 AM   #7  
Just Me

Glory,

I saw the nectar bars when I was looking at the Jocalat bars but the Jocalat bars were cheaper and I'm already a fan of Lara Bars. The predecessor of the Jocalat was Maya bars, I don't know if anyone knows those? I actually did try to buy those a few years ago when they were in the transition from Maya to Jocalat but the Mayas were sold out.

The ingredients for the Chocolate mint are...
Organic Dates, Organic Almonds, Organic Cocoa, Organic Cacao Nibs, Organic Peppermint Flavor, Organic Vanilla Flavor

Calories: 190
Fat Calories: 80
**Percent Daily values based on a 2,000 daily diet
Amount/Serving % Daily Value
Total Fat 9g 14%
Saturated fat 1g 6%
Monounsaturated Fat 3g
Polyunsaturated Fat 3.5g
Cholesterol 0mg 0%
Sodium 0%
Potassium 380mg 11%
Total Carb 25g 8%
Fiber 5g 21%
Sugars 19g
Protein 4g 4g
Old 12-03-2007, 08:25 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

I'm definitely going to try one if I see them! I know my grocery store has Nectar, they've made me so happy I haven't really been looking at other good options
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 09:11 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 246/244/143

Height: 5'6''

Oh, I LOVE those Jocalat bars! My favorite is the chocolate orange one
FitMomEB is offline   Reply With Quote