3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Food Talk And Fabulous Finds (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/food-talk-fabulous-finds-17/)
-   -   Warmy snacks for winter? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/food-talk-fabulous-finds/126754-warmy-snacks-winter.html)

3Beans 11-08-2007 03:25 PM

Warmy snacks for winter?

My snacks are usually fresh fruits or veggies paired with a little protein like PB, hummus, or low fat cheese. But I just can't bear all that cold food on chilly days! Any ideas for healthy, low calorie, high volume snacks?

BTW I already drink a lot of tea, and I like soup sometimes but more often it feels like drinking my calories when I prefer eating them unless it's something heartier and more caloric.

Thanks!

BlueToBlue 11-08-2007 08:47 PM

I love oatmeal as a snack (in fact, I'm eating some right now :drool:). It's warm and very satisfying. I get Trader Joe's multi-grain cereal (it's like oatmeal but it has other grains), which is only 130 calories per serving, add some sugar-free sweetener (usually Torani sugar-free syrup) and cinnamon. If I have extra calories, I add fresh fruit, non-fat yogurt, and/or a tablespoon of pumpkin puree.

There is a stand at my farmer's market that sells homemade vegetable soup that has almost no calories (one cup is 0 pts for Weight Watchers, so I think that is less than 25 calories). It occurred to me that I could make it myself using fat free chicken broth and lots of low calorie veggies. It wouldn't be like drinking my calories because, well, it would have almost no calories. I am thinking of making a big pot of it and freezing or canning it in single serving packages.

Or spread PB on a low calorie wrap, wrap it around a banana, and pop it in the microwave for a few minutes. It will be warm and melty--very yummy on on cold day.

Dumplin 11-08-2007 11:15 PM

I like diet hot choc. or maybe a cup of hot soup!

3Beans 11-09-2007 03:31 PM

Thanks for the ideas! The banana wrap sounds yummy. I also love pumpkin puree on everything, but never thought of oatmeal! I'll definitely be trying these.

Glory87 11-09-2007 03:58 PM

Roasted squash, mashed up with a tbs of pumpkin butter. Cut up an apple, microwave it for 4 minutes. Add 1/4 cup frozen blueberries, cover, microwave for 1 minute. Top with 2 tbs of granola, if desired.

baffled111 11-09-2007 04:35 PM

It's pretty easy to make squash soup come in at fewer than 100 cals/serving (if you skip the cream and use ff sour cream instead). That's my new afternoon snack, with a slice of whole wheat 'french' bread. It's filling and tasty and feels satisfying.

BlueToBlue 11-09-2007 08:21 PM

Slice up an apple, mix it with some cinnamon and sweetener (brown sugar or artificial sweetener, whatever you prefer), and bake it until the apple is mushy. You could throw in some raisins, craisins, or frozen berries if you want.

Applesauce is good warm (just heat it up in the microwave).

Oatmeal is also good with peanut butter stirred into it.

It sounds a little strange, but I also like my oatmeal with a tbsp of cocoa powder stirred into it (and some sweetener, of course). It comes out nice and chocolately.

WaterRat 11-09-2007 08:40 PM

We do the hot apples for dessert a lot - DH gets vanilla ice cream with his, I do ff plain yogurt. :lol: It's also good on pancakes or some other low cal treat like angel food cake.

The veggie soup is good and virtually calorie free. You can make it as "chunky" or soupy as you like.

A low cal frozen waffle toasted and spread with some pb is also good.

lipidful 11-12-2007 01:58 PM

I am ADDICTED to oat bran hot cereal with a little canned pumpkin, a little egg beaters, sweetener and cinnamon and nutmeg with a little light vanilla ice cream on top.
DIVINE!

OOOH I'll have to try the cocoa powder trick!