Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 08-27-2007, 01:40 AM   #1  

Default Kashi Frozen Entrees

I wonder if anybody has tried these. They're on sale right now at my supermarket, don't know how long for. I kind of liked the looks of them because they aren't just "low cal/low fat" but also made with whole grain pasta & grains, which, I'm trying to follow the Sonoma type diet so that's more in keeping with it than most of the other frozen entrees.

I bought the Chicken Pomodoro with whole grain pasta but haven't tried it yet. The others are listed here....the lime shrimp thing looks pretty good!

http://www.kashi.com/products/kashi_...pasta_pomodoro
K8-EEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 06:19 AM   #2  

Height: 5'4"

Don't know if you have heard of Hungry-Girl.com but I LOVE this site. She sends daily emails with reviews about new items and I have almost never disagreed once I have tried them. Fiber One cereal has been the only one so far. Anyway - she gave these very good reviews.

http://www.hungry-girl.com/girls/bit...s.php?isid=877
witchyonadiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 07:13 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 261.5/176.5/145

Height: 5.5

I love them! The sweet and sour chicken is my favorite but they're all really good!!!
royalsfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 07:15 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 207/200/135

Height: 5'8

I nearly had a heart attack when I looked at the nutritional info for that chicken pomodoro thing. 470g of sodium! I wonder if they realize they made that mistake, whereas it should be 470 mg.

They dont look all that appealing to me, but then again, I have the sophisticated tastes of a toddler. *shrugs*
Casandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 08:44 AM   #5  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casandra View Post
I nearly had a heart attack when I looked at the nutritional info for that chicken pomodoro thing. 470g of sodium! I wonder if they realize they made that mistake, whereas it should be 470 mg.

They dont look all that appealing to me, but then again, I have the sophisticated tastes of a toddler. *shrugs*
I'm glad I'm not the only one. Every time I see them I study them again, thinking ok, maybe this time I'll try one. But after looking at the pictures on the packages, they just don't look like something I would enjoy.

Unfortunately, I don't know anyone else who eats them, either, so I can't say whether or not they're well-liked.
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 11:32 AM   #6  

I've tried them all and they are delicious.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 02:56 PM   #7  

Kashi entrees are SO yummy! I've had about 4 different ones, and they were ALL great. Of course, I tend to add crushed red pepper to everything, so that could affect the taste (meaning maybe they're not as tasty as I think b/c I like everything spicy!) They're a little expensive but goooooooooooooooood. I love the chewiness of the grain mixture they use.
lipidful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 03:16 PM   #8  
Never want to go back!

S/C/G: 338.4/190.8/165

Height: 6 ft

I think I have pretty broad tastes as it applies to interesting food, but some of these tasted a little too strange for me. I'm going to stick with Amy's.
CLCSC145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 10:30 PM   #9  

Default Big thumbs up on the Kashi Chicken Pomodoro!!

My hub & kiddies are at Dodger Stadium tonight so, perf opportunity for me to dig into this bad boy.

I REALLY liked it!! Although I love to cook and I love all the Sonoma/South Beach type recipes, sometimes you just want a night off from pans and chopping boards, and this is one of the few products that fits the guidelines (in terms of the whole grain pasta.)

I did pimp it out a bit -- the directions call to nuke 2 minutes, stir, nuke two minutes, after the first 2 minutes I added 2 cups of torn baby spinach and 2 oz of reduced-fat feta cheese to the mix, and a bit of crushed red pepper.

Then I put it in a pretty dish and poured a glass of W-I-N-E!!!! (gotta love the Sonoma Diet!) I thought it was really good!!
Old 08-28-2007, 11:14 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 208/207.2/115

Height: 5 feet

Oh wow, I had no idea these existed. They sound great. How sad, Ive been living on fast food so long I had no idea what was in the freezer section!
eander5696 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 11:34 PM   #11  

Hey there Emily!! Speaking of fast food, I've been trying really hard to eat s-l-o-w. Somewhere along the line I started gobbling instead of savoring!

Oh and witchonadiet! Thanks for the Hungry Girl site....very informative!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eander5696 View Post
Oh wow, I had no idea these existed. They sound great. How sad, Ive been living on fast food so long I had no idea what was in the freezer section!
Old 08-28-2007, 11:37 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

You can buy the "kashi pilaf" that's the basis of most or all of the grain in their frozen dinners. We just had some last night. It's seven grains and sesame and you just cook it like rice.

I modified their recipe for "Mediterranean Pilaf" by cutting down on oil and adding extra veggies. It was really good. It was even good cold today!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 12:19 AM   #13  
Walking by faith

Kashi also has PIZZA now. Mediterranean style (w/black olive & feta cheese), Five cheese & tomato, and Chicken w/garlic..YUMMY!
Stepping Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 03:58 PM   #14  

Wow!!! Thanks for the tip, I'll look for the pilaf & the pizza too. Always nice to have some pantry/freezer stuff for those "what's for dinner" nights!
Old 08-30-2007, 07:13 PM   #15  

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casandra View Post

OMG - you are So right about the sodium !!!! Even the "correct" amounts are scary. I never even noticed that _ i guess because I wasn't going to try them. I guess for once in a while it would be ok but definately not a good "regular" choice.
witchyonadiet is offline   Reply With Quote