3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Food Talk And Fabulous Finds (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/food-talk-fabulous-finds-17/)
-   -   Butternut squash , anyone have recipes? ..... (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/food-talk-fabulous-finds/120554-butternut-squash-anyone-have-recipes.html)

dramagirl 09-16-2007 09:24 PM

Here's an excellent soup recipe with butternut squash:

1 3 lb. butternut squash - peeled, seeded and cut into 1-inch cubes (5 to 6 cups)
1 tablespoon olive oil
3 teaspoons kosher salt
Freshly ground pepper to taste
Cooking spray
1 large yellow onion, chopped
3 stalks celery, chopped
1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage
6 cups fat free chicken broth
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan

Preheat oven to 400. Toss squash with olive oil, 2 teaspoons of the salt and pepper in a large oven safe dish. Roast for 15 minutes, stir cubes and continue roasting 15 more minutes, or until caramelized; set aside.

Spray a large stockpot with cooking spray to coat bottom. Over medium heat saute onion, celery and sage about 10 minutes. Add squash, broth and remaining salt and bring to a boil. Lower heat an simmer for 30 minutes. Remove from heat. Using a blinder or food processor, blend the soup in batches until smooth. Return to pot and keep warm. Top with cheese after serving.

This is delicious and perfect with the upcoming fall weather!

MaryL 09-17-2007 12:28 AM

2 servings
30 min 10 min prep

#4 cups butternut squash, peeled,de-seeded and chopped (1 medium)
1 onion, chopped
1 vegetable stock cube, dissolved in 1 pint hot water
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 tablespoon ground coriander
salt & freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley, to garnish

Put the squash and onion into a large saucepan along with the spices and pour over the stock.
Bring this mixture to the boil, cover, then reduce the heat and allow to simmer for about 20mins until the squash is tender.
Once it's ready, pour into a liquidiser or a food processor and blend it until it's smooth.
Return to the saucepan and reheat it gently.
Season to taste and serve, garnished with the parsley.
Add Sweet Chilli Sauce before serving
This is one of many I have tried, just about point free.
and very good to freeze. I didn't put mine in a blender, I mashed mine and left some of it chunky.
Goes very well with the chilli sauce, or you could combine it with other veges, and a bit of chicken bacon.
Enjoy
MaryL:hun:

BlueToBlue 09-18-2007 03:22 AM

I bake my butternut squash until it is done, scoop out the flesh, and mix it with pre-made brown rice (either rice I've made myself or Trader Joe's frozen brown rice). I add some cinnamon, cooked chicken, and sea salt (or regular salt if you don't have sea salt). It's sort of a cheap, easy butternut squash risotto with some protein thrown in to make a complete meal.