Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 07-13-2007, 01:56 PM   #1  
I deserve to feel good!

S/C/G: 250/225/150

Height: 5'5"

Default The most delicious"chili" ever!!

I've been trying to get more veggies in my diet because that's the one thing I know I'm not getting enough of since I feel so-so about veggies, I like them a little but honestly could do without them, even though I know I shouldn't!

so yesterday morning I made some chili and it was so fabulous I can hardly believe it! It certainly wasn't traditional, there was no meat, I guess the only "chili ingredients" were the beans and chili seasoning lol! I made it with dark red kidney beans, black beans, chick peas/garbanzo beans, soy beans, fresh diced tomatoes, fresh red and green peppers, sweet onion, celery, frozen roasted corn, fresh carrots, fresh zucchini, a can of diced tomatoes, a small can of pico de gallo, a chili seasoning packet and lots of hotsauce! It simmered in the crock pot all day and for dinner I had a bowl with a dollop of fat free sour cream on top, delish! It was possibly the healthiest and tastiest thing I've had all week! I honestly don't think I'll ever make plain meat and bean chili again. And what a great way to get in lots of veggies!
wisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 03:28 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 232/ticker/130

Height: 5f 6in

for a great taco, or taco salad.... do the same thing

take out the meat and put in kidney bean ( any bean will do or a mix of them) let them simmer in taco seasoning like you would the meat.

It is so filling and you dont get that nasty film in your mouth from the fat! It is filling but still it wont weigh you down like hamburger does.
lendingheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 05:08 PM   #3  
I deserve to feel good!

great idea! I've never thought of replacing the meat but I absolutely LOVE black beans, they would be great in tacos!
Old 07-14-2007, 09:23 PM   #4  
Live with Intention

S/C/G: 260.6/see ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

Yummy ideas! I have a can of black beans in my pantry that I've been trying to figure out what to do with. I love the idea of using beans to replace meat in some of my favorite foods like chili and tacos.
Pita09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 10:07 AM   #5  
I deserve to feel good!

I also use black beans in my breakfast burritos (along with scrambled egg whites, salsa and low fat cheese in a whole wheat tortilla), soups, added to salsa to make it more filling, as a side dish simmered in salsa, lime and cilantro (and sometimes mixed with brown rice), there are lots of uses for black beans!
Old 07-15-2007, 01:28 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 209/209/160

Height: 5'9

I'm in love with the breakfast burrito at the moment--it's one of my favorite lunches. I use egg whites and black beans in the filling (sometimes also turkey bacon, which I have decided is no substitute at all for real bacon) and then I top it with some ff sour cream, maybe avocado or shredded cabbage, and a big pile of pico de gallo and some hot sauce. It's soooooo delicious and it turns into a giant plate of food with tons of protein. I love it!

I simmer my black beans in a mix of minced garlic, chopped chipotles in adobo and orange juice and then store them in a ziplock bag in the freezer. Beans can get nasty in the fridge very quickly, so this way I can grab a portion whenever I want them for something and I don't have to worry about spoilage. (It's quicker too, than having to season and simmer the beans every time.)
baffled111 is offline   Reply With Quote