help me NOT hate oatmeal...!!

You're on Page 2 of 2
Go to
  • Like everyone else, I don't think that you should eat oatmeal for breakfast if you don't like it. If you're interested in ideas for cold breakfasts rather than hot cereal, though, I'd recommend a pre-made muesli (e.g., Trader Joe's blueberry) or this recipe for a homemade muesli:

The night before, mix 1 cup oatmeal with 2/3 cup skim milk and 2 TBSP raisins. In the morning, grate an apple and mix it into the oatmeal (you can also do the apple the night before to save time in the morning). Then divide the oatmeal/apple mixture into two or three portions (depending on how many calories you need for breakfast). Add 1/4 cup non-fat yogurt, 1 TBSP sliced almonds, and 1/2 cup fresh fruit to your portion.

When my mom gave me this recipe, it didn't look as though it would taste good, but I find it to be amazingly delicious. When I make the 1/2 portion version, it works out to about 386 calories. Sometimes if I want my breakfast to be fewer calories, I switch to a 1/3 portion. Other times, if I want to keep the larger portion of whole grains, I just use fewer raisins, yogurt and almonds. So you can can tweak the recipe to fit your needs and tastes.

(This is also a good recipe for those of us who like hot oatmeal, but find it hard to eat when it's 90 degrees outside )
  • I hate oatmeal as well, but some of those oatmeal recipes look tasty!

My current passion for breakfast is Kashi crunch cereal, vanilla soy milk, and sliced strawberries. Very feeling and yummy.
  • P.S. - the "fresh fruit" can also include frozen berries. I like to use a mixture of frozen blueberries, raspberries, etc. and put them in a bowl with the yogurt the night before. By morning they're defrosted, but still very cold, which is great on hot days. And then it's very quick to throw in the oatmeal mixture and sprinkle on some almonds...
  • I make a protein pancake that is made with oatmeal, it's very simple and you can make a few recipes ahead of time and just warm them up...

1/3 cup dry oatmeal
    1/3 cup cottage cheese
    1/3 cup eggwhites
    Splenda and vanilla to taste

In a blender or use a hand blender, blend all the ingredients till smooth... Cook like a pancake, makes one large pancake or 2-3 small ones...

I also love raw oatmeal soaked in soy milk...

Ennay -- I find that if I eat oatmeal with a protein, like egg whites, I don't get that blood sugar roller coaster as you mention... But alone, yes, I do get that spike...
  • Whenever I do eat oatmeal, which is not that often these days, it was my breakfast of choice in the beginning, but I also always eat it with an egg white omlette. It definitely staves off that blood sugar roller coaster spike thing.
  • thanks for all your help ladies!!! I'm not dwelling on oatmeal....but I HAVE kept your recipes in mind!!