3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Food > Food Talk And Fabulous Finds

Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 06-10-2007, 06:06 PM   #1

S/C/G: 209/209/160

Height: 5'9

Default Recipe Request: Fiber/Protein/'Energy' Bars

Hi all,

I really want to make some energy bars because I think they are tasty, but I'm not having much luck finding a good recipe. I'd like the bar to be chewy, come in under 150 calories and contain a bunch of either fiber or protein.

Anyone have a good recipe?
baffled111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 06:31 PM   #2
Finding My Bliss

S/C/G: Fit & Fat!

Height: Tall & Strong, Baby!

Here's My Recipe!

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cup rolled oats
1 cup crispy brown rice cereal (unsweetened, or sub any high-fiber/protein and low fat, healthy cereal)
1/4 cup unhulled sesame seeds
1 1/2 cup dried, unsulfured apricots
1 1/2 cup raisins
1/2 cup protein powder ( I use hemp protein powder-this ups the fiber content considerably- or whole soy from Trader Joe's -not soy protein isolate)
1/2 cup toasted wheat germ
1/2 cup ground flax seed
1/2 cup raw sunflower seeds
1 cup brown rice syrup
1/2 cup "Better 'n Peanut Butter" from Trader Joe's
2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon cinnamon

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spread oats, cereal, sunflower seeds and sesame seeds in a 13" x 9" pan.

Bake, stirring occasionally, until toasted, about 15 minutes. Set aside.

Chop the apricots and place in a large bowl. Add raisins, protein powder and wheat germ; toss with hands to mix. Add the oatmeal mixture to this.

Lightly coat the reserved pan with oil.

In a heavy saucepan over medium-high heat, combine rice syrup, peanut butter, vanilla and cinnamon until very smooth.

Quickly pour syrup over oatmeal mixture and stir well.

Using a spatula, QUICKLY spread the warm mixture into the pan, pressing into a thin, even layer (This will be sticky so be fast!).

Chill until firm, then score into 2" x 3" sections and return to cool for 4 hours.

Cut into 2" x 3" bars and wrap them individually in wax paper or foil, then store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.