3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Food Talk And Fabulous Finds (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/food-talk-fabulous-finds-17/)
-   -   Miracle noodles? (Shirataki without the Tofu) (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/food-talk-fabulous-finds/113380-miracle-noodles-shirataki-without-tofu.html)

nelie 05-23-2007 05:53 PM

Miracle noodles? (Shirataki without the Tofu)

Has anyone tried Miracle Noodles? (www.miraclenoodle.com) They apparently have NO calories ? And they are made from fiber? They are like Shirataki noodles but instead of being fiber and tofu, they are just fiber.

walking2lose 05-23-2007 07:44 PM

Not yet, but I'd like to find some! Sounds like something I'd like!

Tealeaf 05-23-2007 09:45 PM

Yes, it does look very interesting. Too bad so many varieties seem to be sold out right now! But I will give them a shot, I think.

baffled111 05-23-2007 10:43 PM

But what are they actually made of? How can it be made of "fiber" without having any calories? I don't get it! Is it indigestable string mixed with water?

Zepher 05-24-2007 02:06 AM

I have tried shirataki made without tofu (although not the Miracle brand), they have a stronger "soapy" smell and more rubbery, but not bad at all if you cook them right.

They are made from glucomannan fiber, which is all good. But I noticed that all brands of the noodles also contain calcium hydroxide (this is bad right?)

kaplods 05-24-2007 03:07 AM

I found this on calcium hydroxide, so it doeesn't worry me much:

Calcium hydroxide has been used in food processing for thousands of years by Native Americans who used it in the production of posole, nixtamal or what we would now call masa. It is used to loosen and remove the outer hull of corn kernels, and in the process, renders more of the grain’s protein and vitamins available for absorbtion. This treatment of corn makes the grain more nutritious, allowing people to use it as a staple protein source. Without such treatment, those who eat corn as a staple food often develop the serious disease pellagra, which is a deficiency in niacin. It is still used to create posole or masa, and is also used in the production of sodas and some alcoholic beverages. (Masa is used in the making of corn chips and corn tortillas.)

Zepher 05-24-2007 08:07 PM

Thanks! that's good to know, I was eating a ton of this at one point and was a bit worried.

girl81 05-29-2007 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by baffled111 (Post 1706965)
But what are they actually made of? How can it be made of "fiber" without having any calories? I don't get it! Is it indigestable string mixed with water?

good call.
i say if it sounds too good to be true..... :(

yogachick30 05-30-2007 10:05 AM

I tried them and I thought they have a very strong fishy smell. The texture was ok but I really couldn't get past that smell...

nelie 05-30-2007 11:13 AM

I washed the Shirataki noodles I bought and they didn't have a fishy smell. They did have a strong fishy smell right out of the bag though.

Su-Bee 05-30-2007 03:58 PM

I SO wish I could find shirataki (tofu or otherwise!) in Canada!!!

nelie 06-05-2007 10:42 PM

An update, my noodles arrived and I had 2 meals with them so far. I am trying out a few different recipes

Today I tried making a beef stroganoff dish except in my pressure cooker and didn't work so well with the sauce (tried to use cottage cheese and no thickener, don't ask). Anyway, I threw my beef, mushrooms, spices, water and blended cottage cheese in the pressure cooker and cooked them. When they were near done, I rinsed off the noodles really well in the sink and then sauteed them with some garlic in a pan, I then threw some of the brothy sauce from my pressure cooker in the sautee pan along. When I was near done sauteeing, I added some of the mushrooms and beef chunks to the sautee to mix really well. It was really good. Although I made a mistake in that I meant to eat only half of the package of noodles and ended up eating the entire package. Its only 3 ozs but still it was enough noodles for 2 meals.

Misti in Seattle 06-06-2007 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yogachick30 (Post 1713167)
I tried them and I thought they have a very strong fishy smell. The texture was ok but I really couldn't get past that smell...

Same here! LOL I even tasted them and they were NASTY! :) People say to rinse them off and the smell goes away but that did NOT happen for me. I had to dump them down the disposal. :mad: I guess a lot of people like them though... but I sure could not handle them!!! :)

iminhere 06-07-2007 03:01 PM

I tried them and I thought they were way too chewy...

didn't that chewiness put you off? it seemed unfoodlike to me.....

I DO like the tofu shiratake...only 40 cal a bag....I use them for asian dishes....

Misti in Seattle 06-07-2007 11:24 PM

LOL I don't know about the chewiness... I could not get past the horrid smell! :no: :rofl: