Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 06-18-2007, 05:16 PM   #1  

Default Ingredient replacement?

I'm not really sure where to ask this, so hopefully it is ok here. I have just recently started a new lifestyle change by following the book "The GI (glycemic index) Diet" , or also known as the traffic light diet.

I am in the process of making a dessert that calls for wheat bran, but am I able to substitute wheat germ for it instead? I'm not sure if that will make a difference or not.

Thanks for any input!
Sahmto5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 06:04 PM   #2  

S/C/G: Slow but steady

Height: 5' 11"

I would think not. Germ and bran are two very different textures aren't they? With baking, in my experience it is an exact science. You really cant change any of the basics out unless you are just experimenting. Different flours rise at different times and have different humidities. You can always change the type of nuts called for and little things like that, but as for the base, i wouldnt think so.

But good luck. I am trying to do a low glycemic diet. Is Wheat bran bad? I always put wheat bran in the "good" carb category. I had that book but i found it to be a little extreme. Too strict for me.
Get n healthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 07:11 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 209/209/160

Height: 5'9

You can't sub wheat germ for wheat bran, but you can sub other types of brans--oat bran, for instance, if you had that.
baffled111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 08:37 PM   #4  
Mel

The "bran" of any grain is the outer hull that is removed in processing. Adding it back in adds fiber. The "germ" is the inner kernal of any kind of cereal grain and is usually much higher in fats (good fats, but fats) and lower in fiber. They don't act the same when cooking or have the same nutritional qualities.

As baffled said, you can sub different types of brans and the recipe should be pretty much the same. Bran and germ aren't interchangeable.

HTH,
Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 05:03 PM   #5  

Thanks for the replies! I didn't figure it could be a substitute, but I figured I'd ask "just in case". My daughter was really wanting to make the dessert. Thanks for your input!
Sahmto5 is offline   Reply With Quote