Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 05-07-2007, 12:19 PM   #1  
LLV

Default Do you go to the store hungry on purpose?

They say going to the store hungry is bad because you pick up a bunch of stuff you really don't need. But if I go to the store on a full stomach, I'll even pass up stuff that's on my list because, at the time, it just doesn't sound good. Then I'll kick myself in the butt later because I didn't get everything.

I'm usually pretty good at not buying too much stuff I don't need, even when I'm hungry. So I'll purposely wait until I'm a little hungry (not necessarily starving) before I go grocery shopping. Because I'll know what I'll do - I'll find something that's on my list and think eh, that doesn't sound very good right now, and leave it. Then later I get mad at myself for not picking up what was on my list

Even when hungry, I still use pretty good judgment on the foods I buy, so buying a bunch of "crap" isn't a problem for me. But I was wondering how everyone else fares when shopping on a full or empty stomach or if any of you prefer to shop when a little hungry.
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 12:56 PM   #2  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Well, the way I USED to be and the way I am now are different.

Before, when I shopped hungry, I'd add crap to the basket. Crap, crap, crap. Snackie foods, usually, with no real nutritional value.

Now I plan the heck out of my shopping trips, but if I'm really hungry and go into the store, I buy a lot more fruit than I had planned (and sometimes, more than I can eat before it goes bad). If I'm hungry, the produce looks so AMAZING....all colorful and pretty and, in my store, attractively lit. I might throw a pineapple, some berries, and a kiwi or two into the basket...I guess if you're going to buy off-list because you're hungry, being called by the fruit isn't a bad thing.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 01:10 PM   #3  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I don't go to the grocery store stuffed but I definitely do go when I'm not hungry. If I'm hungry, I'm more tempted to buy stuff I normally wouldn't.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 02:09 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 209/209/160

Height: 5'9

When I go to the store hungry, bad things happen--usually in the bakery section. I don't buy extra junk food, but I will eat a doughnut to stop myself from starving to death. It's not good.
baffled111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 02:22 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

How interesting. I don't like being hungry, so I don't do anything to be hungry on purpose. That means, I usually go to the store when I'm not hungry. I always shop with a list, so I just buy the stuff on my list. I shop for certain ingredients for recipes, so if I don't buy something, I will be SOL later in the week when it's time to cook, so deliberately NOT buying something on the list (unless it's hella expensive, like fresh raspberries maybe?) just doesn't happen. I make a list, I stick to it, I try not to buy too much stuff not on the list.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 02:28 PM   #6  
eevey

S/C/G: 158/147/130

Height: 5 3

Default At The Sore

I Try Not To Go Hungry, However I Have Children And They Do Not Have A Weight Problem So I Do Not Buy Pop/soda Or Chips,sweets Or White Bread. If They Want These Things I Give Them Money To Buy One Serving At School Or Out Off The House Out Of Sight Out Of Mind:d
eevey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 03:37 PM   #7  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I try not to shop hungry, as if I am hungry, I sometimes make poor choices, and ALWAYS buy too much. I do try to make sure I am shopping at my peak energy level though, as if I am tired I am more likely to drop things from my list and regret it later.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 04:15 PM   #8  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glory87 View Post
How interesting. I don't like being hungry, so I don't do anything to be hungry on purpose.
LOL, well, I don't mean I sit there and wait until I'm half starved to go to the store. I just mean I'd rather NOT go just after I've eaten. I'd rather not go on a full stomach because, like I said, I'll even leave behind things that are on my list because they don't sound good at the time.
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote