TIP: Save the veggies from being lost!

• How many times has this happened to you. You buy beautiful produce. You bring it home and put it in your produce drawer. You proceed to completely forget about the really good looking artichoke or asparagus or baby spinach you bought as you make your dinners throughout the week relying instead on your normal boring same old same old. Until you get down to the bottom of your produce bin and see your now slightly old, wilty stuff that is now only good for soup if not straight to the compost bin.

I've started doing this...at the market when I go to check out I make sure all of my produce is together, either at the beginning or end of the checkout (or even a separate checkout sometimes). Then I snip the grocery receipt which has the veggies nicely listed in a row and put it on my fridge. Then I get to see it every-time I go looking to plan meals. Sometimes I even highlight an unusual item I have bought that I am likely to forget (like today they had beautiful edible pod peas that I would like for snacks only when really fresh).
  • Quote: I've started doing this...at the market when I go to check out I make sure all of my produce is together, either at the beginning or end of the checkout (or even a separate checkout sometimes). Then I snip the grocery receipt which has the veggies nicely listed in a row and put it on my fridge. Then I get to see it every-time I go looking to plan meals. Sometimes I even highlight an unusual item I have bought that I am likely to forget (like today they had beautiful edible pod peas that I would like for snacks only when really fresh).
    Oooooo, that's a good idea!

Thanks for sharing that
  • Smart! At the safeway I go to the products you purchase go on the bill by category, so all the veggies would be in the same place anyway, so I'm definitely gonna cut it off on weeks when I don't think I'll be around to remember the veggies. Thanks
  • That's a great idea!

I have the same problem with fruit. I prefer it cold so I stick in the veggie drawer of the fridge, where, when I'm rummaging around for a snack, I never find it.
  • LOL I wish forgetting food was a problem I had. It's pretty rare that I forget any food that I bought; most of it is front and center on my mind all the time. And I drive an hour round trip to buy most of my produce, so I'm sure as heck not going to forget it.
  • what a great idea! Its almost like keeping the library receipt to avoid forgetting what books you checked out!
  • Quote: LOL I wish forgetting food was a problem I had. It's pretty rare that I forget any food that I bought; most of it is front and center on my mind all the time. And I drive an hour round trip to buy most of my produce, so I'm sure as heck not going to forget it.
    I never forget JUNK food, but those sneaky little squash!

I have to figure out a plan for when my CSA starts in June
  • That sounds like a great idea! Although my grocery receipts are so long and confusing as it is, I might try something similar with my mini magnetic dry erase board I have on my fridge door.
  • That happens to me all the time! The last 2 times I went grocery shopping I put all the fruit and veggies on the bottom shelf instead of the drawer, that way every time I open the fridge it's looking me in the face! My bottom drawer is now reserved for cheese and lunch meats.
  • Interesting - I do this in reverse. I plan all my food for the week on Sundays and make a shopping list for the ingredients I need. I don't buy anything extra (unless I'm tempted by some scrumptious fresh fruit on sale, then I substitute my planned fruit) and it doesn't go to waste. For example, if I'm shopping for Mon-Fri, I buy 5 oranges, one for each day. If I plan to make stir fry for Mon-Tues, I buy everything I need for the stir fry and plan to use it all up. I hate stuff going to waste - it keeps me accountable. I have to go home and make my healthy planned meals or the produce will go bad!
  • i do that same trick , and i swear it works!!!