Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 04-17-2007, 01:56 AM   #1  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

Default Super Versatile, Easy Chicken Adobo

I made this chicken dish the other night and it came out fantastic. It is way easy and you could do lots of different things with it.

Easy Chicken Adobo
1/2 tsp olive oil
24 oz chicken
3 cloves garlic (or 3 tsp minced garlic from a jar)
2/3 cup apple cider vinegar
1/3 cup reduced sodium soy sauce
1 tsp whole peppercorns (or ground pepper to taste)
1 bay leaf

Saute chicken in oil over med-high heat in non-stick frying pan until browned. Add garlic and saute a few minutes more. Add remaining ingredients, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes. Remove cover, increase heat to med-high and continue to cook until sauce is reduced (another 10-15 min), stirring occasionally. Remove bay leaf before serving.

4 servings. If made with chicken breasts, each serving is 210 calories each (5g fat, 9g carbs, 33g protein).

You can cut the chicken up or leave it whole. You could use chicken thighs or drumsticks instead of breasts. You could even use pork tenderloin instead of chicken. You could also add all sorts of veggies to it (I add leeks and it came out great). Carrots, onions, celery, snow peas, broccoli, cauliflower, greens, etc. would also be good in it (basically any veggie you would put in a stir fry). If the veggies take a long time to cook, you add them in the beginning after browning the chicken. If the veggies cook quickly, add them at the very end, after you uncover it for the final cooking stage. The longer you cook it, the more the sauce will cook down. I cooked it until the sauce was almost completely gone, but if you like a little more sauce, stop cooking a little sooner.

I served it with wild rice, but it would also be good with brown rice or asian noodles.
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 12:23 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 240/207/135

Height: 5'6

That sounds really good. I think I'll try that this weekend.
athenac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 07:53 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 150/129/120

Height: 5'2"

I usually use equal parts vinegar and soy sauce, but you can also substitute orange juice or pineapple juice for the vinegar.
swirlybee is offline   Reply With Quote